Changing the 300-WSM project to 6x284 with 105 and 107 bullets

wildcat

Well, do to the advice from everyone, I am going to change this project. After hearing from you all, I realized I maybe building a project that will not work the way I want it to. My goal is to use this rifle for 500 to 1000 yard squirrel hunting, and I thought a 300-WSM with a 125grn BT traveling at 4000+fps would be an awesome choice. However, after hearing from everyone, you guys are right and I am wrong. Yes, I said it, I am wrong. I am going to change the project, and I am going to design it around a 6x284 and the 105's and 107 grn bullets. You guys are right, I will end up being much happier with this choice in the long run. So here is what I am going to build;

1. 6x284 Match Chamber for Lupua Brass .272 tight neck.

2. Nesika Model L, 1.470 Diameter Action, fluted bolt, tactical bolt knob.

3. Krieger, 30", 1-9 twist, 1.450 straight cylinder, throated for the 105's and 107's.

4. McMillan Tooley MBR, 5 pounds lead added to rear, removable stud for bi-pod use.

5. Jewel 2oz trigger.

6. Vias Muzzle brake.

7. Davidson 20MOA Base.

8. Kelby 30mm Rings.

9. Nightforce 8x32x56mm NXS with MLR reticle.

10. Weight will be 25 to 30 pounds.

Once again, thanks for all the advise and steering me away from my original project. I just really thought it would work. I guess if it sounds to good to be true it's probably not true, so thanks for all the advise. I will call and change my orders on all of my equipment tomorrow.

I am going to go with the 1-9 twist barrel, however, what grove should I go with. I think Kirby has mentioned a 1-9 twist with a 6 grooves works best for the 105 and 107grn bullets.

Also what kind of velocities will I get, out of a 30" pipe, with the 105 and 107 grn bullets.

I also want to thank ss7mm for the data about the 300-WSM with the 125grn bullet, that really opened my eyes!!! Thanks, and I would like to hear from all of you regarding the change.

Wildcat

ScreenHunter_04Apr.gif

ScreenHunter_06Apr.gif

Thanks ss7mm for all the info. Man, I need to get one of these ballistic programs.

Do you know there are free ballistics calculators online?

They don't offer all the features of the purchased programs, but they will get you much of the same ballistic data. I've found them invaluable for bench racing.

I talked to Krieger today, and I had a long discussion with them about with twist rate I should go with. Although, they said the 1-9 twist would work, they recommended the 1-8.5 twist for the 6x285 using the 105 and 107grn bullets. The person helping me said they work great on his 6x284 with the 105 and 107grn bullets, and he highly recommend I use the 1-8.5 twist. He promised me I would be real happy with that twist rate. I took his professional advice and went with the 1-8.5 twist. I guess will find out soon.

Wildcat

Yes, I know they are out there. However, I have never tried one out. I just need to buy one. I've thought about going with the Nightforce Ballistic Program.

I am going to need to make a drop chart for my 6x284 using the 105grn bullets, for shots out to 1000 yards. I am leaning towards using the Berger 105grn VLD's, they have a BC of .556. The guys at Krieger informed me the Berger 105's are shooting real well out of their 1-8.5 twist barrel. I am thinking I should be able to push them at around 3500fps out of the 30" pipe.

Anyhow, I really need to get a Ballistic Program. I am going with a Nightforce 8x32x56mm NXS with the MLR reticle, so I will probably rely on it for my windage adjustment. I think the MLR windage marks are 2 MOA each, I might be wrong. Using the high BC bullets will really make a difference in the wind. However, we do not get to much wind out here in these parts.

If the wind becomes an issue, the MLR reticle should really help for windage hold instead of dailing the windage into the scope. This reticle should make things go faster when holding off for wind.

Wildcat

Hey guys, I went with a 1-8.5 twist barrel. The guys at Krieger informed me this twist rate has been working real well in the 6x284 with the 105 and 107grn bullets. I would like to hear from you guys on this twist rate.

Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys, I went with a 1-8.5 twist barrel. The guys at Krieger informed me this twist rate has been working real well in the 6x284 with the 105 and 107grn bullets. I would like to hear from you guys on this twist rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a 1-8 twist kreiger for my 6-284. I plan to shoot the new 117 dtacs out of it. I have shot the 107's and had excellent accuracy out of it. 3 inch groups at 800 are the norm for it with a good driver.

d-a

That is true, I just like to hear from those that are using that type of twist.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.