New Remington 700?!?!

Sometimes you have to change....lots of things were our fathers, grandfather's...passed down...but seldom do rifle last that long...
If you truly want to honors a gift from your father..and the barrel is the piece that needs changed.....did you change the tires and oils in the car/truck........when the time comes..its time to change/ modify what it is..if only to be able to pass it along down the road to the next generation.....it will mean more to the next if the history is known..and it will be more safe due to the upkeep....
My brothers got dads rifles..mom kept the 73 Chevy for herself..but when it was time to change I put a new transmission and motor in it for her and new tires....it now belongs to her first born grandson....whether or not he has kept it up...who knows.....
I say change the barrel...keep it rolling....

Sometimes you have to change....lots of things were our fathers, grandfather's...passed down...but seldom do rifle last that long...
If you truly want to honors a gift from your father..and the barrel is the piece that needs changed.....did you change the tires and oils in the car/truck........when the time comes..its time to change/ modify what it is..if only to be able to pass it along down the road to the next generation.....it will mean more to the next if the history is known..and it will be more safe due to the upkeep....
My brothers got dads rifles..mom kept the 73 Chevy for herself..but when it was time to change I put a new transmission and motor in it for her and new tires....it now belongs to her first born grandson....whether or not he has kept it up...who knows.....
I say change the barrel...keep it rolling....

You make a good point.

I still say it's up to the individual, however.
In how or what he chooses to honor.

I've got a pretty 64 model 70 270 that was my grandfather's. It's a right handed rifle with a left handed custom stock , no left handed options back then . I killed my 1st deer with it when I was 12 and haven't fired it since. It sits in the safe with the rest of my hand me downs that don't get used .

I've gone strictly custom once I figured out what exactly I wanted and no factory rifle fits the bill .

I recently decided to buy a used rifle at a pawnshop to use the action as a build.........to do over again...i would just buy a new action and start there......nothing to lose other than a couple more bucks......but ended up getting a new stock..trigger..barrel(I already had).....probably have $1500 into it......surely won't get close to that selling it...
Buy the best you can afford...or start crom scratch and spend more....

I recently decided to buy a used rifle at a pawnshop to use the action as a build.........to do over again...i would just buy a new action and start there......nothing to lose other than a couple more bucks......but ended up getting a new stock..trigger..barrel(I already had).....probably have $1500 into it......surely won't get close to that selling it...
Buy the best you can afford...or start crom scratch and spend more....

Another good point.

Ill add, and don't look back.

I don't view anything firearm related as a liquid asset, especially if I'm building. I realize I am getting exactly what I want, and that the value itself is strictly personal. People have different tastes, requirements, etc. Kind of like jewelry or art. My rifles are definitely a luxury item. There is no need. There is only want.
When I go through the custom build process, resale is not even considered in the equation. I'm building based solely on my wants and desires, and pocketbook. The application of that to others is not considered. Incidentally, I've never regretted a dollar spent for something nicer than what I wanted to start with. For me, regret only comes from trying to save money on it.

I'm building my baby, and I'm not selling it.
My firearms will be part of my legacy.

Changing the subject a little, someone
Might be better off cost wise to go through a private owner for the initial purchase of a donor rifle. You can get a better idea of what you are getting based on the person in front of you, and you'll probably pay less than pawn shop prices. But again, if you want something not owned, used, or potentially abused by a previous owner, but something new with your money. If those thoughts enter the equation, you shouldn't regret it. But you can't go back and second guess your decision. If you don't deserve the best you can afford, or maybe a little more, who does?

If you are going to have a gunsmith customize your action, consider buying an already customized action. You'll usually get more for your money that way.

Just a thought here but I know my dad would want me to use it if it was mine. Could you possibly have a smith shorten the barrel slightly and rechamber it in the same caliber? Chances are that the rifling is still okay it's probably just throat erosion. That way you would still have an all original Factory rifle but you could also make it a shooter again.

Al

If you gave your son a rifle and it needed a barrel what would you want him to do? My 2 cents is that is where you will find your answer. i feel my dad would look down on what I did a be very proud that I thought that much of his gift to me to keep it going. Also as has already been said hand down all the stories with it. Good luck do what makes you feel good. That's what matters

Hey everyone,
I have an old Remmy 700 7mag that my dad gave me years ago, it was built in 1973 and was a great shooter! Well, it's starting to loose that accuracy and now collects dust. I've considered taking it to a Smith to get it rebarreled and have some action work done but being the first rifle my dad ever gave me I don't want to touch it. I did put on a Hogue stock but I have the original still which I'll put back on.....with all that being said, since I already have a ton of brass, bullets and dies I'd like to buy a new 7mm mag but I also don't want to spend $1000. I've looked hard at the bergaras but I'm curious to know if I were to pick up a 700 ADL, put the hogue stock on to free float the barrel and swap out the trigger would I end up with a 6-700 yard elk rifle with hand loads? Or has Remington gone down hill that much? Your input is very appreciated!!!!
Nick
You're definitely not the first guy to face the same dilemma.

Some options.

See if your gunsmith could just cut it off to get beyond the throat erosion and recut the chamber.

Just have it trued and put a new barrel on. Sentiment aside, it isn't much of an heirloom if it's lost it's ability to shoot accurately.

Buy a new one.

Any of those would get you where you want to be and replacing a barrel doesn't change what it is, the sentiment behind it, or the way your future heirs will view it.

I'd be willing to bet that you father would be thrilled to know it's getting an overhaul, starting a new life, and will continue being passed on to future generations.

As for the stocks, There are some great features about the Hogue but there are also some downsides. They are a very heavy stock and because they are rubber cannot be floated and properly bedded for maximum accuracy in the same way others can.

On the plus side I find them to be fantastic ergonomically and because of the rubber make heavy recoiling calibers much more pleasant to shoot both due to felt recoil reduction along with all but eliminating the vibration associated with each shot.

Personally I prefer composites like the McMillan and I'm extremely partial to good laminates.

Here is my story on my 7RM.

My father-in-law and I hunted together for about 20 years. He had a nice looking R700 BDL in 7RM with a cheap scope on it. I used it on occasion as a back up rifle too, before I started my collection of custom rifles. Well, the last 8 years or so of his life, he quit hunting. To my knowledge, in the 30 years he owned it, he only shot 1 small mule deer buck with it, and never anything when we hunted together.
2.5 years ago, he went into the hospital and 8 days later, passed away. He was in great spirits up until the end. We stayed with him every minute we could barring work hours. On his 2nd to last day, he asked me to take his rifle, fix it up like I did my others, and kill an elk with it. It was about an MOA rifle to begin with, but not enough for my personal accuracy criteria for me to use as a hunting rifle.
After he passed, I took it to a good gunsmith, had a new Bartlein #3b installed, tried the action, and dropped it in a temporary HS Precision stock, and put a spare Vortex Razor 5-20 on it. 6 months later, my 13 year old daughter (his granddaughter) took the 1st elk that rifle ever shot. It was a truly emotional moment for us.

The following year, I drew a bull tag, and made it my goal to use that rifle as well. I saved up and put a Manners EH2 on it, along with a S&B PMII 3-20×50 in preparation for my hunt.

I shot this bull on opening evening after a LOT of scouting. Luckily, I was by myself when I found the bull not 50 yards from where he was standing when I took the shot from 662 yards. I am not ashamed to admit I was quite choked up as I said a few words to him thanking him for all the years we spent together in the field, and that I had accomplished my goal of taking an elk with his rifle.

I even got a tear in my eye writing this.

I turned a rifle that would most likely never get used in the condition it was in, to one of my go-to hunting rifles for deer and elk.

Why not when it shoots like this too?

Hey everyone,
I have an old Remmy 700 7mag that my dad gave me years ago, it was built in 1973 and was a great shooter! Well, it's starting to loose that accuracy and now collects dust. I've considered taking it to a Smith to get it rebarreled and have some action work done but being the first rifle my dad ever gave me I don't want to touch it. I did put on a Hogue stock but I have the original still which I'll put back on.....with all that being said, since I already have a ton of brass, bullets and dies I'd like to buy a new 7mm mag but I also don't want to spend $1000. I've looked hard at the bergaras but I'm curious to know if I were to pick up a 700 ADL, put the hogue stock on to free float the barrel and swap out the trigger would I end up with a 6-700 yard elk rifle with hand loads? Or has Remington gone down hill that much? Your input is very appreciated!!!!
Nick
If you don't want to change the original rifle which I would do the same I think you're on the right track Remington is still a good rifle get a new trigger bed the action or the new stock you should be fine

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts