New Reloader: Thoughts on initial set up??

Thumlers model b
It does good I only use if I got a lot to clean at one time it cleans inside and primer pockets but a pain in the —-to separate pins from brass
The sonic cleans small quantities in about 45 minutes but mine does a third of the thumlers
The vibrating does half the amount but you have to manually clean the primer pockets and then pick out media

I am considering those items, however, do they still serve the same benefit with factory rifles loading to mag length?

Not quite certain about your question here?? Mostly everything that has been recommended to you will work on just about any cartridge from handgun to the largest of magnums. There will be some equipment that will be cartridge specific like the headspace/bump gauge, for these there are specific bushings for specific "calibers", but other than that out to be able to go.

Alibiiv,

I was going to order the Hornady gauges, but then I decided I would possibly add them later as finding my lands in a factory rifle isn't going to be super beneficial as I will more than like have to load to mag length. The comparator would probably the first and more beneficial of the two tools for me at this time.

Hope that helps?
Steve

Couple people have suggested I need a calipers.....it is on the list. *thumbsup*

I bought the iGaging (Mitutoyo like) Absolute Calipers.

Couple people have suggested I need a calipers.....it is on the list. *thumbsup*

I bought the iGaging (Mitutoyo like) Absolute Calipers.

As long as they repeat consistently that's pretty much what matters. I've got a pair of RCBS dial calipers, also an RCBS set of micrometers and RCBS anvil micrometers to measure case neck wall thickness.

I had an old carpenter tell me one time measure twice cut once I use that advice when I reload always check and recheck
Saw a guy split a 44 mag open one time wasn't pretty

I am considering those items, however, do they still serve the same benefit with factory rifles loading to mag length?
I use tools to check the brass from base to midpoint of the shoulder, to make sure you are not oversizing the brass. In an AR you want about .003" set back, in a field type bolt gun, .002" would be fine.
Loading to mag length is pretty straightforward. It either fits or it don't! finding the lands won't normally help; just make sure they're far enough out to jump the bullet. (Most factory stuff will have tons of room before you need to worry about hitting the lands. )
The single most convenient tool I have for checking that is made by a former Palma Team shooter (old school) in Connecticut named Mo DeFina. His company is Master Class sports and he has NO website. Call him at 203-775-1013 and ask for a headspace gauge for whatever caliber you want. (I have a 30BR, 308, 30-06, 22-250, and 223.. IIRC they were about $40 each; but made to last several lifetimes.)
Also, IF you are using "range brass", get yourself a small base sizer die. Its a full length die but made to reduce the brass down by the head more than a std die. Some full auto guns firing from an open bolt will balloon the case a bit down there, and need extra attention

I won't be loading range brass, but I will be starting with Lake City brass from blue box Black Hills in 223. The pieces I have have been shot out of both my sons and my 223. I'm guessing the best way to handle this is to set die up according to manual (over size) and the keep the pieces separate from there. When I buy new brass, I will buy different manufacture for each rifle and work up a new load so there is absolutely no confusion.

You could probably get the RCBS kit with everything on your list plus you would get their basic beam scale and maybe a hand primer and powder measure thrower for not much more than the cost of buying the things your list separately. You need some additional scale to check what the electronic scale is saying. The Hornady tool can measure both distance to ojive and how far you are pushing back the shoulder if you get the inserts. Wish I had bought that tool the same day I bought my first press. Just because you have a factory chamber and magazine doesn't mean that distance to lands isn't a meaningful thing to also be able to measure.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.