New Reloader: Thoughts on initial set up??

BoomFlop

I am a new Reloader (haven't loaded a round yet) and I am still waiting for the last remaining things to arrive. I am starting with 223 Remington for bolt action 700's.

My equipment:
RCBS Rock Chucker
RCBS Chargemaster Lite
Redding 2 Die Set
Redding Shell Holders
RCBS Collet Bullet Puller with Collets
L.E. Wilson Trimmer/Sinclair Micrometer
L.E. Wilson Case Holder
iGaging Absolute Caliper
L.E. Wilson Chamfer and Debur Tool
Sinclair Neck Brushes LG and SM
Imperial Sizing Wax
Imperial Dry Neck Lube
Satern Funnel
Dewey CR Crocogator Primer Pocket Cleaner
National Metallic Reloading arrays
National Metallic Ammo Boxes
Nosler 8th Edition Manual
Hodgdon Benchmark Powder 2lbs
CCI BR4 Primers 1000
Nosler 40 gr Ballistic Tips

I know many of you will say I'm missing a bunch of things, and I believe I will need many more items as I go, but I want the basics to get loading some ammo and still keep initial costs some what controlled.

Thoughts? Did I many any mistakes? Is there something I don't have that I need?

Appreciate all your help, knowledge and patience. It's been 3 years or so of research and tons of intimidation before this commitment.

Steve

I would look into getting a hand primer kit eventually. It's much better and you don't have to handle each primer. SR primers really are small and after dropping a few you'll want to dump and prime soon enough. I'd also look into some case comparators to measure case sizing correctly and over all case length tool to measure to lands with modified cases.

You have a great starting set up, much better then when I first started, you'll turn out loaded rounds that will shoot. Add a few things here and there and you'll have a set up you won't need to upgrade for quite some time.

Sounds like you're ready to go.

I like to clean the outside of bolt action rifle brass with steel wool and rag also. And I clean the inside of the neck with a nylon/poly brush.

Looks like you're well on your way. As thatguyshm says, get yourself a hand priming tool (maybe from Santa). Redding dies are great and I use them for all my "long range" applications but IMHO, standard RCBS dies are more than sufficient for general hunting/shooting applications.

You've embarked on a rewarding odyssey. Sounds like you've got most of what you need. Now, get your feet wet, enjoy it and add incrementally to your skill set/equipment as you continue to learn. After 11 years, I still derive a great deal of satisfaction from reloading. LRH forum can only help! Have fun!

I like to use a Lee Case Spinner Stud and Lee Three Jaw Chuck to spin my brass with a cordless drill while I clean it with 0000 steel wool. Makes cleaning/polishing brass fast and easy. Get the carbon, that often collects on the outside of the neck, off fast.
I also use it for trimming my brass as they show in the video, but I see you have the Wilson for that. But the stud and 3 jaw chuck are great for spinning brass on a drill.

I like Hornady "One Shot" lube, had very good results with that. I have a salt annealer and an RCBS hand priming tool. Would not feel like my set-up to be complete without these pieces to my equipment. And.....you certainly do have a "very good start" for equipment, some really nice gear. Barrelnut made a great recommendation, I will be ordering the Lee case spinner today. I usually will chuck my brass up, hand tight in the drill press and polish my case necks with NevrDull, this tool looks to be much better than in a chuck. Good luck with the new adventure, you're in a good place to ask questions, and.......remember, "Don't be afraid to ask them, there's no such thing as a bad/stupid question!", we all had to start somewhere.

I like Hornady "One Shot" lube, had very good results with that. I have a salt annealer and an RCBS hand priming tool. Would not feel like my set-up to be complete without these pieces to my equipment. And.....you certainly do have a "very good start" for equipment, some really nice gear. Barrelnut made a great recommendation, I will be ordering the Lee case spinner today. I usually will chuck my brass up, hand tight in the drill press and polish my case necks with NevrDull, this tool looks to be much better than in a chuck. Good luck with the new adventure, you're in a good place to ask questions, and.......remember, "Don't be afraid to ask them, there's no such thing as a bad/stupid question!", we all had to start somewhere.
Well said and I'm been loading since 85 and I'm still finding new things like lee spinner I getting one ordered today

I am a new Reloader (haven't loaded a round yet) and I am still waiting for the last remaining things to arrive. I am starting with 223 Remington for bolt action 700's.
My equipment:
Nosler 40 gr Ballistic Tips
Did I many any mistakes? NO
Steve
Don't know what your twist rate is, but 40gr sounds like a prairie dog setup... If you have a 10 twist or tighter , I'd suggest a heavier pill is all. Use the priming setup you got to start with. Then see if you want or need a change...

2nd on the one shot lube. I would add a Lee collet die unless you are loading for the AR. You still should have a Hornady case length gauge and modified case to help set bullet length for your chamber. I would add an overall case length gauge too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.