New Project - Savage or Remington Action????

dlebeck

I am starting yet another project. This one will be another set of twins, both in WSM. My question is what action is best/better starting from a factory Rmeington or Savage action. I have been using Savage just this year and I have to tell you that Remington better start looking over their collective shoulders. These Savage rifles shoot! But, I have always used Remington 700 actions in the past and have always been more then happy with the results. Please try to be specific! No Savage bashing and no "you should just use a custom action" (I have three of those too). I want good honest discussion based on experience.

Doug

Go with the Remington Action. I have used both actions and the Remington is much bettter, however, Savage is really coming up. What are you building? can you give us the specs on your new project.

Wildcat

If you have read my other posts, you know how much I like the Savage/Stevens actions for building LR target/hunting rifles.

They are very well made and run smoothly and accurately. You can certainly discuss with other smiths but I have built enough to conclude that you get an almost BR trued action out of the box. I run my loads at elevated pressures and runout is zero, cases stay true. That shows me lock up is excellent/consistent/strong and nothing is done to the action. Some of the barrels are just prethreaded/chambered ones and not fit specifically to that action. Not bad at all.

Aftermarket is now broad enough to satisfy any tastes. Accutrigger head and shoulders over the factory Rem. Better then just about everyone.

however, the biggest plus going since you are building WSM rifles - their new centerfeed mags. Smooth as silk. I really don't think even Win/Browning is as nice.

Savage and a bunch of barrels. Now you can have a whole family of WSM's instead of just two.

Jerry

I can not coment on Jerry's post on Savage as I have never owned one of there bolt actions, but have heard other good things about them.
But if you get a good smith on a Rem action I do not believe you can go wrong hart Barrels made this one for me and it is just more than I ever expected it a .480 at 200 yards and have shot a ace at 100 yards and at almost 3300fps with 140 nosler partition it is awsome on game.
7mmwsm 6.7lbs
[image]htt
100_1507700hart.jpg
p://[/image]

I personally know of several customs built on Savage actions that shoot well, also know of a couple of stock models that will give match barrels a run for their money! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.