Savage Tactical Rifle Project By Jerry Teo

The port on a target action is 3.038" long at its widest point. Anything longer than that and you have to release the bolt to eject loaded rounds... you can get MUCH larger rounds into the port, just cant get them out.

looks great it gave an idea has anyone ever tryied to put a ar 15 floating forarm on a savege if the ring id is right it might work you would have to thread the barrel a little futher any though anyone

Nice job, and very creative... The project is probably a little beyond my abilities at this time, but with sone additional thought, anything is possible. It would be nice to know how long the barrel is, and contour...? And Why..? And also what is the rate of twist for the heavier 223 ammo...?

The Shilen barrel is 22" long with an 8 twist.

Started off life as a varmint contour (one of the 4 standard contour offerings), then was turned to fit under the rail.

All very simple stuff.

You would be surprised at how easy it is to make one of these stocks. It's all cut and paste. And if it doesn't work out, can be redone or tossed for little financial risk.

Good luck with your future endeavors.
Jerry

I am very intrigued with the stock build. I have a birth defect in my forearms which don't allow me to hold a rifle very securely. Really crappy when you love shooting like I do, but a pistol grip stock helps out quite a bit. I was curious though, for me, a pistol grip that is canted off center about 20 degrees would be ultimate. I am wondering how strong you feel the set up you designed is and if it could take the constant recoil of a 30-06 or a 25-06?

thank you.

Sorry, to hear about your situation but it is great that you are looking for alternatives.

By using different materials, you can put that grip where ever you want and it will be strong enough.

You just need to reinforce accordingly and it will likely take a couple of tries to figure out how you need to get it done.

The forces on an offset grip will be very different then in the conventional location so the method I used (wood, epoxy and bondo) will see more flex then it was designed to handle.

Maybe a block made from alum with the grip extension offset as you need it will be the best solution.

Anything is possible.

Good luck with your quest. Ever consider a bullpup?
Jerry

Sorry, to hear about your situation but it is great that you are looking for alternatives.

By using different materials, you can put that grip where ever you want and it will be strong enough.

You just need to reinforce accordingly and it will likely take a couple of tries to figure out how you need to get it done.

The forces on an offset grip will be very different then in the conventional location so the method I used (wood, epoxy and bondo) will see more flex then it was designed to handle.

Maybe a block made from alum with the grip extension offset as you need it will be the best solution.

Anything is possible.

Good luck with your quest. Ever consider a bullpup?
Jerry

I will say I don't know what a bullpup is. I figure I will mix in micro balloons with the epoxy and then I will lay in carbon fiber cloth on top of the epoxy as well. I've used this type of construction before on airplanes and it's amazingly strong, but then again it's a totally different type of impact force. If nothing else, the standard 90 degree pistol grip will work just fine and that's most likely the direction I will go. Thank you for the input, it's appreciated.

Jerry, outstanding job on the rifle!! Really liked the stock and gave me some new ideas for my next build,a 257 roberts ackly improved savage 110....

Jerry,

I enjoy reading about this Savage build. Thanks for writing the article and we all look forward towards your next project.

Eric

I have a question about the firing pin, when i shoot the rifel some times it fires and some times it dosent, I have taken the bolt apart and cleaned it replaced the pin and Spring but it still mis fires any body got any sugestions on how to fix it.

I have a question about the firing pin, when i shoot the rifel some times it fires and some times it dosent, I have taken the bolt apart and cleaned it replaced the pin and Spring but it still mis fires any body got any sugestions on how to fix it.

What do your primer strikes look like?

When you replaced the pin and spring did you set the pin protrusion to the proper amount?

another excellant easy to understand article by the author.

while i have no desire for this look in a rifle, it illustrates what is possible for budget minded people. certainly any stock configuration could be used.
ive been a savage shooter since the early 60s.
thanks to savage , lefties got the oppurtunity to own bolt rifles when other u.s. manufacturers didnt think we were worthy.
ive recently purchased a police tactical version savage for my grandson.
308 caliber, it has an aluminum bedding system, accutrigger, flutted barrel,
and a muzzel brake from the factory. it was also available in 260 and 260 creedmore.
within an hour of load testing is was shooting 1/2" hundred yd groups.
hadnt even taken it out of the stock for a trigger tune up.
even the barrel nut on newer guns is less unsightly. in fact its hardly noticable.
the options for barrel swaps etc are almost unlimited with savage.

thanks to the credibility of authors like this, savage is bulldozing its way thru the competition.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.