New painted stock now bolt sticks.

Once you get your screws and stock straightened out, torque the screws to the proper inch pounds with a good torque wrench. I think it's 35 inch lbs. on the front and 25 or 30 inch lbs. on the rear screw for synthetic stocks on Savage rifles.This will help with accuracy as well as not being over torqued and having the screws seated to deep in the action.

Thanks again guys. I finally did more investigating and figured out it wasn't the screws too long, rather the internal magazine is binding on the stock. I don't think painting the stock would cause this though. I have tried over and over now to figure out a fix and can't. I didn't do any sanding on stock before painting.

Re: New painted stock now bolt sticks. **New issue**

Thanks again guys. I finally did more investigating and figured out it wasn't the screws too long, rather the internal magazine is binding on the stock/bolt. I don't think painting the stock would cause this though. I have tried over and over now to figure out a fix and can't. I didn't do any sanding on stock before painting.

Blind center feed mag? If so make sure it is seated all the way down. There is a silver bracket at the rear that pushes the box forward and locks everything in. It should be just in front of your rear screw.

Blind center feed mag? If so make sure it is seated all the way down. There is a silver bracket at the rear that pushes the box forward and locks everything in. It should be just in front of your rear screw.
I will check that. Thank you.

I did now check the magazine and it seems ok the best I can tell. But that does seem like the area it is "teetering".

You could always take the internal box magazine out and see if you still have the problem. If you do that you may need to slip the magazine retaining piece back in, as I believe the action bottoms out on that.

You could always take the internal box magazine out and see if you still have the problem. If you do that you may need to slip the magazine retaining piece back in, as I believe the action bottoms out on that.
Can you or anyone explain how to remove internal magazine on this?

I believe there is either a YouTube video of it, or a write-up somewhere on the web. A quick Google search will get you what you are looking for. Mine came out with a flat blade screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

I believe there is either a YouTube video of it, or a write-up somewhere on the web. A quick Google search will get you what you are looking for. Mine came out with a flat blade screwdriver and a pair of pliers.
Ok. Thanks.

I finally figured out how to remove the internal magazine. That is definitely the source of my bolt binding. Now what to do to remedy it? I'm thinking about grinding off some of the bottom of it to get it away from the bolt. Any thoughts? Again, why should I have to do this to a new rifle?

If the magazine was taken out for painting it may have not been put back in correctly after. There's a hook on the end of the silver part that holds the magazine in place. There's also a square hole in the magazine that that hook goes in. If it was placed under that square hole it would hold the magazine up too high and cause the bolt to rub.

If the magazine was taken out for painting it may have not been put back in correctly after. There's a hook on the end of the silver part that holds the magazine in place. There's also a square hole in the magazine that that hook goes in. If it was placed under that square hole it would hold the magazine up too high and cause the bolt to rub.
Thank you for your advice. I did not take the magazine out until after the stock was painted and tried putting it back together only to realize it started binding at that point. That is a real interesting way to hold that magazine in. After reassembly now the binding is better, it definitely still there.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.