New painted stock now bolt sticks.

crittrgittr

I bought a Savage 12FV recently and took the stock off to paint it. Now when I try to tighten my action screws the bolt binds. I literally have to back the front one out almost 2 full revolutions in order for it not to stick. I have removed and installed many stocks before and have never seen this. This is my first Savage, but I didn't do anything different than my other rifles/stocks.

I bought a Savage 12FV recently and took the stock off to paint it. Now when I try to tighten my action screws the bolt binds. I literally have to back the front one out almost 2 full revolutions in order for it not to stick. I have removed and installed many stocks before and have never seen this. This is my first Savage, but I didn't do anything different than my other rifles/stocks.
Did you drop a washer out of the hole? If not add one..

Yea, the screws go through the action. If they are a thread or two too long they can bind the action. Use a washer or cut the screw a couple threads shorter. Your stock screw hole may have compressed if it is wood or plastic and not pillared.

Savage action screws are different lengths, are you sure you put them in the correct location?

SHM

Thanks guys. I know they are in correct holes as I kept them in order. I didn't realize there were washers on them. I wonder if they stuck in the stock when I disassembled it and maybe fell out in handling. I will check that.

Both screws are washerless. Does anyone know if both screws only get one washer and where I can buy these?

Don't forget to measure the recess in the stock, some washers will have a diameter to big.
Honesty if you have a sharp file, you can file the screw enough to make it work. Just try and file it level.

Thanks again guys. Looks like I have some grinding to do. Why should I have to do this on a brand new rifle though?

Well crap happens sometimes in modern assembly line processes... But thank you for buying American! Seriously Savages can be very accurate rifles, you will probably love it once get going with it.

For a new rifle having this issue... I'm wondering if the stock has pillars in the screw holes of the stock? If not, the screw may have been over torqued and that could have compressed the screw channel in the stock a bit.

It probably needs to be relieved and bedded. Taking the paint off though should not have caused this unless somehow the stock warped.

It does seem to "teeter" when I assemble stock back together. The paint shouldn't warp it, should it?

It does seem to "teeter" when I assemble stock back together. The paint shouldn't warp it, should it?
Not unless you put it on thick.

Try sanding it back down out of the action area and see what happens. Just be sure not to remove too much material. I would bed it.

Did you sand the old paint to prep it? Did you do any sanding in the action/bedding areas?

Is it a wood stock or synthetic?

Does it have an internal metal frame and/or bedding block?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.