Painted my Vangard Stock

efw

I traded into a Vangard chambered to 257 Roy recently. I mounted a Bushnell 3200 10x 40mm w/ mil dots & turrets in Talley LWs on it. I'm likely going to get a new scope for it at some point, but the 10x seems to be shooting fine and I'm broke so no hurry.

The thing shoots like a house afire, but I couldn't stand the factory tupperware. I'm going to put a new stock on it at some point, but to make it more bearable I painted it.

My "system" is to rub the stock down w/ acetone before scrubbing it w/ 100 grit sandpaper with which I erase the mold marks, then hit it w/ a light coat of primer. I like textured stocks, but the Plasti-Kote Stone Touch I've used in the past is in short supply around here for some reason. I found Rust-oleum's stone textured mineral brown at Home Depot, and followed the directions, spraying from far away to maximize texture. After letting it cure I hit it w/ 2 coats of matte-clear Aluma-Hyde II from Brownells which is epoxy for durability. I learned early on w/ the stonetouch that even w/ their own clearcoat it is NOT durable AT ALL, but the Brownell's product took care of that problem.

Here is how she looks now:

IMG_9946.jpg

...and here you can see the texture of the paint, even after the overcoat:
IMG_9958.jpg

It was a shot in the dark but I'm happy with the way she turned out. I highly recommend the textured stone products if you're looking to give your stock a unique look, but don't forget the Aluma-Hyde II if you do...

Re: Painted my Vanguard Stock

Neat! I've thought about the same thing and like your tips, especially the Brownells.

FYI, even with the plastic stock I bedded the recoil lug of my Vanguard and the Devcon seems to have stuck quite well. I'd suggest doing that if you are sticking with that stock for a while. You don't have to do the full bedding job just around the recoil lug and a bit under the rear lug. My stock was being pulled up 1/8 inch when I tightened the action screws but now I can get repeatable torque values with no deformation of the stock.

One of these days I'll get a photo of it so I can post it. Not pretty but it works.

Thanks again for the painting tips.

Thanks Dr. Vette!

The original owner actually bedded & free-floated the barreled action in the stock. I don't know what he used, but it seems to have worked well.

I've never used Devcon, but have found that Marine Tex works well if I rough up the surface while removing material. I even drill shallow holes into the inside of the stock for "anchors" so the Marine Tex can hold solid.

Thanks for the compliments on the stock!

Re: Painted my Vanguard Stock

I had a bit of time to get a photo. I know yours is done but it may help the next guy. I know that this is not at all pretty; that was not the point. I was just trying to support the recoil lug and keep it from sliding around inside the stock.

Take a look at how much epoxy there is between the base of the action and the old stock. That's how much the stock was bending to meet the action before I did this.

The rear bolt area only got a tiny thickness so that it was flat with the bottom of the action.

Right now I'm working on a B&C Medalist for this rifle.

Attachments

• recoil lug large.jpg
    recoil lug large.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 57
  • recoil lug.jpg
    recoil lug.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 69
  • rear bolt.jpg
    rear bolt.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 53
  • thickness.jpg
    thickness.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 88
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.