New Mexico Elk Outfitter Recommendations

I started hunting elk in the Gila Wilderness in 1975 and was able to draw tags for most of the next 15 years. I got an opportunity to guide for Beaverhead Outfitters, Jack Diamond, and did for several years thereafter.
The Gila is known for big bulls and Beaverhead is a quality outfit. They hunt wilderness and non-wilderness land and can accommodate any necessity. One of my most fulfilling guiding trips was guiding a wheelchair bound bowhunter and his wife.
Give Jack a call at
575-772-5677.
Don

I started hunting elk in the Gila Wilderness in 1975 and was able to draw tags for most of the next 15 years. I got an opportunity to guide for Beaverhead Outfitters, Jack Diamond, and did for several years thereafter.
The Gila is known for big bulls and Beaverhead is a quality outfit. They hunt wilderness and non-wilderness land and can accommodate any necessity. One of my most fulfilling guiding trips was guiding a wheelchair bound bowhunter and his wife.
Give Jack a call at
575-772-5677.
Don
Sounds terrific, thanks.

Tri State Outfitters Raton NM. TO Ranch. This year will be my third hunt with them for cow elk. Two for two so far. Great people. Ranch has a bunk house.

I'm looking to book a rifle hunt fall of 2021, and would appreciate reviews of any recent experiences; thanks.

Grouse Mesa outfitters. Headquartered in Co. Hunts in NM. Great guides that are serious about you getting an elk. Private ranch where they manage the herds for good trophies. Tell them you were referred by John Verrant

Plus 1 on Jack Diamond and Beaverhead Outfitters. Just came back from 1st season rifle , we killed 4 bulls by 9am on the second morning, great hunt, quality animals, quality guides, food and accomidations more than adequate.

I have hu Ted Vermejo...and the scenery is spectacular....I was hunting with an outfitter...not the ranch staff. It was a "truck hunt".....driving rough @as ranch trails (called roads...)...at 40 to 50 m.p.h.....chase them down...jump out and shoot as fast as possible. Yes...I got my elk... but no thanks to another "hunt" like that. Just no fun to me.

Outstanding info so far; many thanks to all. Let me dial this in a bit: We have done wilderness hunts from camps and are looking for a more high-end lodge-type experience. No canned hunts. Working to get on an animal is expected, but we are looking for trophy elk, and excellent food and lodging.

I have hu Ted Vermejo...and the scenery is spectacular....I was hunting with an outfitter...not the ranch staff. It was a "truck hunt".....driving rough @as ranch trails (called roads...)...at 40 to 50 m.p.h.....chase them down...jump out and shoot as fast as possible. Yes...I got my elk... but no thanks to another "hunt" like that. Just no fun to me.
We were doing cow management hunts the last week of season... a friends brother was turners CFO and got us hooked up with it. No guide or outfitter. Just took our 4 wheelers and went. We could hunt however we wanted and had the whole ranch at our disposal.

Jicarilla Indian Reservations is fantastic if you get the right guide. If interested send me a pm on guides. I've been 8 times.

We were doing cow management hunts the last week of season... a friends brother was turners CFO and got us hooked up with it. No guide or outfitter. Just took our 4 wheelers and went. We could hunt however we wanted and had the whole ranch at our disposal.
THAT is a great type of hunt. Would love to find one like that!

Last edited:
If money wasn't really an object, I'd hunt the Mescalero Apache Reservation around Ruidoso. Beautiful area. Huge bulls. Very expensive.