New Mexico Elk

Where in the Gila? I have deer hunted the north where the San Augustine plains drop in. Hunted deer around Lake Roberts down to Silver City. Backpacked in for a deer hunt in the wilderness. Been camping and fishing around Snow Lake. I have seen elk, deer, turkeys, bear, cougars, Mexican Grey wolves, and coues deer at some place in the Gila.

The Gila has the biggest bulls and biggest herd. Most of the record book animals have come from Catron and Socorro counties.

Basically I have told the wife and kids when I die I want to be cremated and have my ashes spread over the Gila Wilderness. So that should tell you what I think of the Gila.

The Gila is an awesome area. I helped a buddy of mine and his wife on a hunt up there. She killed a nice 6x6 near Snow Lake. Another buddy of mine archery hunts up there every year. He has drawn for the last six years. He is crazy though as they backpack in for about 10 miles and hunts an area that they scouted years ago.

If you want to pack in for an elk hunt then I suggest you get some horses because the terrain is pretty rough and packing an elk out without horses would be pretty grueling.

The Gila is an awesome area. I helped a buddy of mine and his wife on a hunt up there. She killed a nice 6x6 near Snow Lake. Another buddy of mine archery hunts up there every year. He has drawn for the last six years. He is crazy though as they backpack in for about 10 miles and hunts an area that they scouted years ago.

If you want to pack in for an elk hunt then I suggest you get some horses because the terrain is pretty rough and packing an elk out without horses would be pretty grueling.

Don't be giving away all my secrets.

Gila can be tough depending on where you go and there are still some pretty big boys in there. If you are going during the early hunts the weather will be pretty warm normally. Cool nights, short sleeve days. Rain will probably be done in August. Later in the year it just continues to cool off. In Oct you will get a little late rut depending on the time. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.