2017 Guided Elk Hunt - outfitter recommendations?

Dr. Vette

Dad wants to try a guided elk hunt using rifles again in 2017.

In 5 guided hunts so far he's gotten a spike, and that's all. In these hunts my score is 1 cow and two 5x5s. So far we had 2 hunts in MT with the same outfitter, which was a great place with a great guide, but the wolves have decimated the elk herd, and what was there sits on a huge inaccessible private ranch. Next was a popular NM outfitter near Chama where we and most other hunters never saw an elk, and our guide preferred beer to guiding. 4th hunt was back to MT but more central, where Dad sprained his ankle and didn't have much of a chance; owner/guide had Zero people skills. 5th was a muzzleloader hunt in NM in a high quality unit with a highly regarded outfitter; our guides didn't know how to find elk if they didn't trot out in front of them, and I've never seen Dad as depressed as when we left there last year. Would you believe that all 4 outfitters were checked out/referenced/evaluated before we went?

We're looking for a guided hunt (I'll do self-guided with my son when Dad quits hunting) where there is a reasonable chance of a decent bull elk. Guides who work for you, don't drink and drive or drink and guide, and know how to think outside the box are a definite plus. No horses please, only 4WD or 4x4 transportation. We have 5-6 WY points each that we could use but don't have to, as we would consider MT, WY, CO, NM or even ID. No wolves allowed, so to speak, as we've had those already. Dad needs electricity for his CPAP machine so bunkhouse or similar is preferred over a tent camp, though many tent camps have all-night generators nowadays.

Add-on deer such as CO or MT is nice, but Dad really, really just wants to get a nice elk.

I have a list with some names I have collected from reading reviews on this site and a couple of others but thought I'd check and see if any newer references are available from LRH members.

Thanks for any input you can provide. Let me know if there is any additional info needed to help in our search.

One comment - fair chase only. I thought that would seem obvious but someone asked (not Laelkhunter), so I'll add it.

Quality of guides and owner(s) will mean more than budget. Our best hunt ever was our least expensive, and the $10000 (each) hunt last year at an allegedly highly regarded outfitter was horrible. Given that, I think he's looking at $4500-7500.

Yes, money doesn't mean success. But, private land hunts generally start around $8000 or so, and will have higher success rates in general. I'd recommend hunting one of Utah's CWMU ranches, which allow rifle hunting during the september rut, and have guaranteed tags.

Check out Shane Ford in Utah as he hunts several areas and has access to landowner tags.I drew a Utah bull tag and spent a lot of time with him and his brothers.Waldsberg was rugged country but the Soldier Summit area would be amazing for your father.Saw lots of animals in the 320-340 range.A solid go to guy and crew-would love to draw a another tag or win the lottery and buy a tag to go with him again.Shayne Ford. 801-376-8651.

Have you used him?
What were your experiences?

Hunted with Doyle 6X's already....he is one of the most honest & down to earth people you will ever meet!! He is a retired Army Ranger that runs outstanding camps no matter what you are hunting...here's his website...give him a call, you'll see what I'm talking about!!

www.jdoutfitters.com

Some of the animals I have taken with J&D Outfitters:

Snake River Ranch Wilson Wy Joe Hargrave is guide I went this fall saw lots of good bulls killed a monster on day 6. He worked his butt off for my success and I have been elk hunting for 30 plus years and learned alot from him. My biggest bull ever a solid 390in bull.

Snake River Ranch Wilson Wy Joe Hargrave is guide I went this fall saw lots of good bulls killed a monster on day 6. He worked his butt off for my success and I have been elk hunting for 30 plus years and learned alot from him. My biggest bull ever a solid 390in bull.

How about a picture of that bull

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.