2017 Guided Elk Hunt - outfitter recommendations?

Tyler Sims in Wyoming. My dad an I hunted antelope there last year and all the bow hunters he had in camp killed a bull while we were there. Very skilled guides and he is very skilled himself. My dad and I are going elk hunting there in Oct of 17.

Hidden Creek Outfitters with Bill Perry in the Thorofare region. Check his website and see his Hunter success pictures.

I have hunted with Bill a half dozen times and I have never been disappointed. Going back again this fall.

Most elk country is pretty rough,Dad might have a tough time. Try Pack horse Creek Outfitters here in BC CANADA. Dave runs a good camp,these are horseback hunts though. 6 point Bulls are minimum here but you need to be in good shape to appreciate it.

I goofed to..about the no horses. You could do a backpack hunt or day hunt afoot. It is key to be in great shape for hunting these mountains .Good luck

Good Morning, Dr. Vette,

The current era of big game hunting has forced hunters to adapt. While there probably are big bulls killed on general season, over-the-counter tags, the reality is that big bulls are in limited entry areas. That is for good reason. And always go with the rule, not the rare exception.

Without bonus points, you're going to be in the midst of elk hunters who have no bonus points. That means your odds of success will be found in tables that list lowest success rates.

Utah might still be the state producing the biggest bulls. Good luck drawing a massive bull area without 20 bonus points. Coming in second might be a tie between Arizona and Nevada. New Mexico has big bulls. I'd try Wyoming before Colorado, and Colorado before Montana.

Don't limit yourself. Look at Alberta and British Columbia. Due to exchange rates, Canadian hunts might be affordable. But Canadians ain't behind any 8 ball. They probably have factored in exchange rates and have raised their prices accordingly. But then again, huge bull come out of Alberta and British Columbia.

One thing I know for sure is I'll never again go on an over-the-counter elk hunt.

It is both rare and exciting when a guide assures you that a 360 bull is not a shooter. But the sad reality is that such a hunt has become once-in-a-lifetime.

"We're looking for a guided hunt where there is a reasonable chance of a decent bull elk" is what I said in the initial post.

While I'd love to get him a 360, I don't anticipate that he has the time to accumulate points, or the interest in spending $15k on a hunt. A 6x6 over 300, or reasonable chance of this, is fine. As I sais in my first post there must be outfitters out there who work hard for their clients, have a clue how to look for elk when conditions change, don't drink on the job and while driving, and make the experience enjoyable. From what we've seen that's a tough list for outfitters to follow. :rolleyes:

If interested in Arizona hunts send me a PM, I work for A3 trophy hunts and we can almost certainly get your dad an opportunity on a good mature bull on late rifle (fairly easy to draw tags) or we can give you just about the best chance as possible at an absolute monster on the early rifle tag.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.