New lrh

Yankeeguns

I'm looking to buy my 1st long range rifle. I noticed the Rem 700 Sendero Sf 2 300 Rum. What's everyones thoughts on this gun. I'm looking for a 500-1000 yard gun. That I can modify without blowing up the bank account. Is it a good 1st timer gun or better options? Is there a lot available for it? Mainly for hunting a little range. Thank you!

Most Sendero's shoot well but Remingtons QC can be hit or miss. It is a nice rifle in my opinion. A 300 rum is a lot of rifle for a first rig. I wouldn't buy a 300 rum unless I had plans on going over 1000 yards. It is expensive to load for and there is a lot of recoil to it. I would get a 300wm, 7mm mag or something smaller to learn to shoot well before I went with a big mag. I would also look in the Savage lineup as you get more for your money; especially the trigger. I don't like the Xmark pro on the Remingtons.

There is a common belief that the higher end 700s get a little extra treatment during assembly. I'm not entirely sure of the truthfulness of that statement, but I do know that I've never seen a Sendero that wouldn't shoot under 1 MOA with factory ammo that it likes, and 1/2 MOA with tuned handloads. I'd also look into getting a Rem 5R they have a reputation for being very accurate rifles as well.

Rem 700s have by far the best aftermarket support and the Sendero starts out with a solid foundation for long range. The factory stock is great and even better when skim bedded. I'd recommend getting a new trigger, good solid mounts for the best scope you can afford, and after you've shot a few break in shots through it to evaluate the potential of the barrel, get a muzzle brake installed to make it easier to spot your long range hits and to reduce recoil.

Also check out the new ruger percision rifle. I'm waiting for one now. Look at getting the 6.5 creedmore. The guns are looking very accurate out of the box and hornady makes great ammo for it. In a few months when the new hornady long range eld ammo hit shelves should be a just the ticket for what you want.
As stated I get something you can shoot a lot for practice without a sore shoulder. This help create good fundamentals and will transfer over to large caliber stuff. But if you develop bad habits because you want to shoot a canon it can be problematic. I always get a kick when guys come to my range with ultra mags bragging about how well they shoot and call me names cause I'm shooting small caliber stuff. Yet they never get to shoot enough to even try anything over 300 and they usually have a hard time at that range.

what are you shooting at? jackrabbits? moose? do you reload? most answers on here are " Remington sendero , leup 6.5-20". I would get a 300 wm , 7mm or 264.

Sendero is a great rifle to start with. I would also be +1 on the comment that 300rum is a bit much for a first rifle. 264winmag or 7mag would be a better choice as their recoil would be much less.

Also, let me give you another recommendation. Which would be to go with a Remington 700SPS. You get quite a few more cartridge options and they are much less expensive than the Sendero. Also, as pointed out earlier, everyone makes aftermarket parts for the Rem700, so you could easily upgrade the rifle as needed or you might want.

Here's an example of an SPS build. Be sure to read it to the end and you will see its complete transformation into a custom build:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.