New to LRH with ???s

Hagar

Hi everyone,I am new to LRH and will intro myself and ask a few questions to start my first post.I live in Southern Alberta and hunt both varmints and big game.Currenttly I have 2 rifles,an old style Ruger M77 in 30.06 and an old Browning(made in Finland)243 with a target barrel.Both are getting 100 yard groups under 3/4 inch.As of yet I have done nothing to the Browning and have only glass bedded the Ruger.Although most of my hunting shots on Whitetail have been under 150 yards I have taken a 370 class bull elk at over 500 yards.That was the toughest shot I have ever took,down hill with a 40 mph cross wind.I felt good to be able to make such a shot.I do plan to do a little work on the Ruger,new trigger,scope and stock,and a new scope on the Browning.

Both rifles have Leopolds on them at this time,a 2x7 on the 30.06 and a 3x9 on the 243.I am thinking of putting a 4.5x14 on the 30.06 and a 6x24 on the 243.What are your thoughts on this?What scopes are you guys using?

If you can afford them then night force is the way to go. I have had great luck with burris signatures and black diamonds, not to keep on the fullfield's though. Just my little bit.

You really cant go wrong with the leups. NightForce is probably a little better but for the cost I love the leupolds.

take it easy
steve

Whatever you get, target turrets are really handy for LR work. Might make sure the scope you get is user friendly and has enough elevation adjustment. For instance nightforce, luppy mark 4, zeiss, Schmidt & Bender, and such scopes will serve you well. Good luck in your quest and welcome to the board.

I like Nikons. I use a buckmaster 4.5-14 and a monarch 4-12. They are both excellent. And you don't have to save for six months to buy one.

Check out the mil-dot reticles. They are handy.

Hey Hagar, 370 is an awsome bull for Alberta. Do you have a picture you could post? What zone were you hunting in.

Cheers.

Welcom Hagar, if you can afford it go with a Nightforce NXS.
Your going to love this site, everyone on here is very helpful. I have learned so much since I've been on. Once again, WELCOME!!!!

Wildcat

Welcome aboard.I prefer the Nightforce NXS scopes personaly,but many here that are quite acomplised long range shooters like Leupold.Now Pete Lincoln he only S&B.I guess what this all means is take your pick

Slopeshunter,will try to post pic

FirstElk4.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.