New LRH Rifle Build Info & Help

kwanjangnihm

Guys,
I'm sending my deposit tomorrow for a new LRH rifle build. I wanted to get your opinions on my choices below. My biggest decision is still on which .30 caliber cartridge to choose (WM vs. WSM}. The "force" is drawing me to the dark side (WSM), while OBI-WAN is telling me to stay with the good old light saber (WM). My goal is to have the rifle built and come in at a weight of 9 lbs. without scope/base/rings. All input, pros & cons, will be appreciated!

Rem SS Long Action (7 Ultra Donor)
Rem Trigger 2.5#
300WM or 300WSM
McMillan M40A1 HTG Stock (lightest weight possible, Edge Technology?)
Broughton 24-26" barrel (M24 Taper or close)
Badger Brake
Badger Bolt Knob
Badger Titanium Recoil Lug
Badger Aluminum Base & Rings
HS Precision Detachable Mag & Trigger Guard

Thanks!

Jeff in Florida /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

What weight of bullet will you primarily use?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that the WSM starts loosing the battle when bullet weight gets higher than 180gr.

The bullet weight you will shoot can also impact what twist you want in the barrel.

Gonehuntingagain is right about the bullet weight. Once you get over 180 grains the case capacity of the 300 wm will beat out the wsm.
I have a WSM and it performs really good, I like the 168 grain Berger's though in it and groups size as well as 500 yard trajectory is par with the 190 Berger's. Beyond the 500 yard mark is where the 190's come into play.
I think that the case capacity of the wsm suggests that anything over 180 may net you diminishing returns provided barrel length is at factory specs.
I would pick the wsm myself as it is non-belted, and has a short powder column, headspace is taken off a datum on the shoulder and not a belt. According to a lot of folks and myself included it should be more inherently accurate because of these traits.
JM2C
Dave

Hi Gonehuntinagain,
I too shoot 300wsm and my rifle is a Win 70 Stealth with a heavy 24" barrel.
I primarily load my cartridges with Lapua 185g Scenars which i chamber singularly and can honestly say that when i seat them to touch the rifling(coal.2.889" with 63.5 grns of H4350 ext for 2850fps) i can fit another 3grns of powder over max,(Sierra manual 66grns max for 180MK) before the base of the bullet contacts the powder cloumn.

This bullet not being a VLD type, has a smaller radius ogive, which theoretically means i should be able to seat 195grn and 210grn Berger VLDs to a similar if not longer coal, leaving me able to experiment carefully with the extra space. I would be aiming to safely get 2950 to 3000fps with the 210grn VLD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Guys,
Thanks for the great responses. I have in mind to shoot 180 - 200 grain bullets, but would also like to experiment with some of the heavier ones. Above 180 grains, what twist do you guys reccommend. I am having the rifle built on a long action to be able to use the longer high BC bullets. Also the HS detachable mag should be able to hold the longer cartridges we are discussing whether it be WSM or WM. I want to try the accubonds and I'm pretty hyped about trying the SMK's for hunting.

Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I use the 200r accubond in my Win M70 with a 1-10 twist. I am not sure how heavy of a bullet this will stabilize but I do believe that it is good for at least a 220gr bullet.

I was shooting them at 2950 fps with the bullet seated to fit in the magazine, but had to back off if I wanted to be able to load the brass more than 2-3 times. I tried seating them out to just off of the lands and was getting 2850 with the same load since there was so much more room in the case. Seating to mag length stuffs that accubond WAY into the case.

I backed off .2gr and am getting 2850 or so with good case life (seated to fit in the mag).

I have shot the 300WSM in comp for over 3 yrs. I currently have 3 in that caliber. It will take a 210 and stand up in accuracy to any 300WM. Accuracy is the barrel, chamber and smithing and loads.

3 of us are shooting 210 VLDs at 2950-3050 fps in the WSM. That is exactly the same range as the 30 WM in comp guns.

Go with 1-11 twist 5C Broughton at 26" less on the taper and more on the extra 2 inches and do not look back. Call and talk to Tim North at Broughton about what profile he recommends.

It will shoot both the 180, 190 and 210s with any caliber. Yes 220 and up it lags, but not needed. I have shot an 18" five shot group at one mile in comp with my WSM and 210 JLKs.

BH

Bounty,
I would sure appreciate any load data you would share regarding accuracy loads for the .300 WSM. I am trying to build up some data on that cartridge.

Interested to know if you have experimented with the 168 and 175 grain bullets in your .300 WSM's.
Thanks.

I use Norma MRP almost exclusively for the WSM and Norma cases. I still have 35 pounds. It is no longer imported. V V powders are working real well for people but I do not have data.

Two of my 3 WSMs like JLK 210s, or 187 Bibs the other is a factory Coyote and it likes Berger 190s (will not group with JLKs). I use the Berger 190 exclusively in that gun for everything. Hammers them.

However, I did use H4350 with 190s. Load development was using the ladder method and I used an upper node. Pressure was upper end but not excessive. Brass lasted 10-15 firings at least (Win Cases on those).

BH

Bounty hunter, I am really interested in your experience since I am looking at building a 30 cal.

I´ve been thinking about the three mags: 300 weath., 300 wm, and 300 wsm.

I shot a factory weatherby last week at the range, remington factory ammo. 190 g. was clocking at 3.060-3100 ft/s....rather nice, and recoil was not as bad as I expected.

I suppose the 300wsm cannot match that, but still is a good cartridge . You say you´ve been using some vld heavy bullets, ever tried 200 or 240 sierras mk´s , or a 200 accubond ?

I am discarding the 300 wm, so I´ll probably go with the 300 weath. or the wsm; I like the wsm better, shorter action, theorically more accurate, less powder and probably less punch to the shooter.

what do you think?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.