New in town need help with 300 wm

whack-n-stack

I'm new to long range hunting. But I believe I have a good starting point. I have a Remington 700 VS SF II in 300 Win. Mag.. Factory trigger is in the trash replaced by a Jewell. Badger Ordinance Rings and Super Sniper scope setting on a 1 piece 30 MOA tapered base. I would like to shoot 168 VLDs with IMR 4350. Bigger bullets are overkill in my part of the world. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm new to long range hunting. But I believe I have a good starting point. I have a Remington 700 VS SF II in 300 Win. Mag.. Factory trigger is in the trash replaced by a Jewell. Badger Ordinance Rings and Super Sniper scope setting on a 1 piece 30 MOA tapered base. I would like to shoot 168 VLDs with IMR 4350. Bigger bullets are overkill in my part of the world. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

contact berger bullets for load data on your chosen bullet. I'm assuming you're going to shoot berger 168 VLD bullets...

Hey W-N-S,**** Welcome, you do indeed have a good start. Excellent caliber, fine rifle/scope set-up. When I lived in N.C. and had many occasions to take small, Southern Whitetail, I chose the 165gn Nosler Ballistic Tip as my "tip of the sword". I was shooting a 1st generation Sendero in .300Wn and chose this bullet as a happy medium. The 150gn blew up and the 180gn just beat me down too bad.**** Using IMR4350 and CCI BR2's, I shot 69.0 - 72.0gn's. My best groups came at 71.0gn's on several occasions. I didn't have a chrono at the time, so no speed, but group sizes were: 72.0gn; .538" (max)/ 71.0gn; .413"/ 70.0gn; .578"/ 69.0gn; .554". (Note: I shot a .476" later that day with 180gn BT, 71gn IMR4350 and CCI BR2's. Caution: This is above book max)**** IMR4350 is a good powder, but I've been burning H4350 in my Savage 112BVSS in .300WM with 180gn pills, (pause) and she's screaming. I know the next can I buy won't shoot nothing like this one, so I'm enjoying it while I'm able. With 71.0gn, and a 9.5M primer, I'm getting 3154fps. Impressed the crap outta me. This speed (and then some) should be attainable for you with IMR4350. Good luck and happy shooting. Check back in and give us some range results. JohnnyK.

Last edited:
Great info. Thanks and keep it coming. I have been looking for a place where folks had real experience and it looks like I found it. Thanks again

wack n stack
how far do you plan to shoot? 168's may be a little light if you are gonna stretch the barell. even if you stick with the 168's, try some "slower" powder with them too. powders in the h4831/rl22/imr 7828 range work well in that caliber.i can tell you from experience with my 300wm that standard large rifle primers tightened up my groups.some loading manuals call for mags and some standard primers. be carefull going from standard to magnum primers with a high end load. back off of your powder to try them then work back up.i personally wont shoot anything smaller than 185 berger.mostly 200smk and 208 amax. good luck.jason

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming. I am open to all suggestions.

Anybody who thinks he knows it all is a fool. And momma didn't raise any of those.

Thanks again.

Thanks to the members here I have found loads that will shoot great in my 300 win.
75.5 gr RE-22 and 180 NPT's, NBT's, SGK's or Accubonds are under 1"
72.5 gr RE -22 and 200 Accubonds or SGK's are scary almost one hole accurate, depending on me, caffeine intake, the alignment of the planets, you know the usual stuff

Hey if you havent found a good load yet, or if you have you still might want to try this one. I have been reloading for a friend of mine he has the same rig as you. I used 82gr. of h-1000 behind the 168 smk the farthest we have shot it was 500 and he kept it around the 3in. mark with a factory trigger i thought that was pretty good. It shot quarter moa at 100. The bullet depth was just off the lands. I hope that will help you.

Thanks nddodd. I have been busy and haven't had a chance to do any reloading. Haven't even got to shoot. Bad weather and high wind. But I will soon. I will take all advice I can get. I'm not dead set on any particular powder or bullet. I just have a good amount of IMR 4350 on hand. But it is not a problem to get H1000. May even get some for keeping before the 20th, if you know what I mean.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.