New high end scope decision

Scf- What reticle do you have on your March's? Maybe I will give the vx6 another look, but the glass didn't look too tier before. Maybe this time I will put it right next to a z6.

I have the MTR 4 illuminated on both scopes. I have a VX6 3-18, not a bad scope but in my opinion it is not in the same league as the March.

Maybe consider just using iron sights or a red dot for the heavy timber and a higher mag scope for those longer distance areas?

I want to throw another vote in the mix for the March. I currently have two 2.5-25x52's and one 5-32, with a mix of mtr3 and mtr4 reticles. I recently sold the last Nightforce I had and I've had several! You can't beat the magnification range, weight and features of the March. The glass is as good as I have had my hands on.
I do like the Leupold VX6's for certain applications. I currently own a 2-12 and a 3-18. They are fine scopes for the money and I don't hesitate to take any into the field. However, on my rifles that are used for larger game and especially in areas where there is the potential of a trophy walking out, I want to be looking through a March.
Nightforce makes a great scope as well and I have no doubts that you could run over them with a cement truck and they'd be fine. If I didn't spend so much money on titanium actions, carbon fiber stocks and fluted barrels or drink alcohol, or if I ran 10 miles a day I might consider a nightforce again. I like lightweight guns with big brakes, really good alcohol, and not running four hours a day. Therefore I choose March.

Well today I put an order in for a couple others scopes and binos I have been meaning to buy so I ordered a z6 3-18 to play with as well. I will also be ordering a March 2.5-25x52 early next week. I hope to put the scopes head to head and see what one I like best. For those of you that have one which reticle do you prefer between the MTR 3 and 4? I really like the look of the 4 but the 4moa cirlcle in the middle that I like for closer range seems like it would cover up a lot of animal at say 800 yards. The mtr3 is very straight forward, but kind of boring. Thanks to all who commented and helped me decide.

I did same thing you are about a year ago.The scopes on your short list where on mine.Mine was going on a packer rifle so weight was issue for me and I put in hard long hikes.I dont think the glass is any much that better in March vrs,Swaro,vx6,NF,that i have looked through in field with friends.My hunting buddy has 25 x Swaro and I could not tell difference with my 3-24x52 F1 March.On 20 x side by side at dusk my Leo Mark 4 is right close.I do really like the low turret as I front carry rifle and bino,so they have less conflict.Mines on 7-2 oz. 338 NM-So well see if it holds up

Attachments

• IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 72
sp6x6,

I used to think my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 had glass as good as my Nightforce 12-42X65 when I looked at leaves and twigs. That is until I got a Swarovski z5 5-25X52. Then I made a "line" eye chart with lines and spaces about 1/4" wide. I discovered they weren't even in the same league. Starting about 200 yards and going out I adjusted each until I could clearly see the spaces between the lines. I was clear out to 521 yards before the Nightforce came off 12X. And then it was like being 12 1/4X. The Bushnell was on 15 1/2X and the Swarovski was on 16 1/2X. Also the Nightforce blew them away in low light.

What this experiment told me is if something with horns was in the brush I might not be able to discern it with the Bushnell and Swarovski when I could with the Nightforce.

Sp6x6- how does the reticle work for the march ffp model. I would worry at high mag it would cover up to much of the target. Have you noticed that? Thanks.

scope has a small dot center with slight space,then a hash type mil crosshair,then thickens.Wildcater,I have friends here that are record setter bench shooters,they shoot the new NF model,one tried a S&B and sent it back,on a good day you can see 6mm bullet holes at 1000.

Thanks for the info but I was referring to the thickness of the reticle at full mag. Does it cover up a lot of the target/animal?

No I dont know off hand the spec. it could be looked up.It is slightly thicker than I prefer but not bad for hunting,and there is space around the small dot.My favorite is the open TMR,and that is slight thinner,but goes to 20x.The Tmr a 1 1/2 '' sticky dot just fits space at 400 yrd.Havent done alot target with March more LR at rock out to 1500

I am torn between the MTR-1 and MTR-3 on the 2.5-25x52. I like thin reticles on my hunting rifles but I am not sure if the MTR-1 will be to fine or not. How does the MTR-3 compare to a nightforce 5-22x50 with npr1?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.