High-end scope for ultralight hunting rifle?

If I spent all that coin on making a light weight rifle, I would not put a 30+ oz scope. On a true light weight rifle--oz equal pounds in the end--on my mountain rifle I have a Swarovski Z5...not he "best" but I get an easy 625 yards out of it. For heavier this is where I'd look

1. March 3x24 24 oz...solid scope --
2. Maven 5x30 RS3 27oz....solid scope-- 27 oz
3.swarovski 2-16 Z8 with turret--26 oz (SFP)
4. Leupold Mark 5 3x18 TMR -25oz
5 Swarovski X5 either...non illum 28oz (SFP)

Last edited:
Here's the deal, pain is weakness leaving the body and the only tough day was yesterday. Get out from behind the computer screen and or off a dirt road and DO WORK! All of the scopes listed in this thread are great and will get the job done! Not once today did I think about the weight of my rifle or my scope when I packed 4 quarters, 2 backstraps & tenderloins of a 400lbs bear. Mind you, I did that in one trip and dropped 3k feet of elevation. My hunting partner packed the cape with skull attached, we did not stop and drop our packs or our rifles. Oh and it was 65 degrees when we started our decent.

FINAL WORDS, DO YOU & the hell with all these keyboard cowboys who think their opinion is the end all be all!

SHERPA OUT

Attachments

• 1180E3D6-0495-4EAD-8DB3-4CE4D7F9C61F.jpeg
    1180E3D6-0495-4EAD-8DB3-4CE4D7F9C61F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 95
Is the TT315M Worth the weight penalty over the March?

Any specific feature on TT that you preferred over the March?
March is 24.4oz, Tangent TT315 is 27.7oz. 3oz difference.
I sold my March F 3-24×52 and replaced it with a Tangent Theta TT315M.
To me, I prefer the glass and reticle in the TT315M. Both tracked perfectly, RTZ, etc. I will take 9x less on the top end for the glass difference to my eyes. Even though March is good glass, TT is just unreal. I have shot mine past 1500 on numerous occasions, and never felt under powered.

To me, I prefer the glass and reticle in the TT315M. Both tracked perfectly, RTZ, etc. I will take 9x less on the top end for the glass difference to my eyes. Even though March is good glass, TT is just unreal. I have shot mine past 1500 on numerous occasions, and never felt under powered.

Yea, just looked it up. They are more than my top end budget but seem to fit the bill perfectly. Is there a difference between the M and the H? Tangent Theta TT315H Long Range Hunter?

Yea, just looked it up. They are more than my top end budget but seem to fit the bill perfectly. Is there a difference between the M and the H? Tangent Theta TT315H Long Range Hunter?

The 'M' is the lighter weight version of the Tangent.

It may not be apples to apples on obj diameter but the March 3-24x42 comes in at 21.6oz for a 6oz difference. Which on a 6lb rifle is a 6.25% weight penalty.

Is that scope that's pictured available to the public? You can find them cheaper on gunbroker.com than you can from the 3 listed suppliers. I'm not sure how this one is $700 better than the 171715 version that I will get next week.
I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT IS THE SAME SCOPE AMAZON, CABELLA'S AND LEUPOLD HAVE. IF YOU CLICK ON THE LINK IN MY POST YOU WILL SEE THEY GO FOR 1795 TO 2200 DEPENDING ON RETICLE.

Last edited:
Is that scope that's pictured available to the public? You can find them cheaper on gunbroker.com than you can from the 3 listed suppliers. I'm not sure how this one is $700 better than the 171715 version that I will get next week.
THAT IS A VX 5HD 3X15X44 NOT NEARLY THE SAME SCOPE.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT IS THE SAME SCOPE AMAZON, CABELLA'S AND LEUPOLD HAVE. IF YOU CLICK ON THE LINK IN MY POST YOU WILL SEE THEY GO FOR 1795 TO 2200 DEPENDING ON RETICLE.

I'm saying that they are essentially the same in that they are both VX5-HD with one having more bells and whistles than the other and for more than twice the price they should have. Since the linked article said they were available from those 3 vendors I clicked on the Brownells link and read the description. From their description I got a Leupold product number. I went to gunbroker.com and searched that part number and found several sellers offering them for lots less than the $1799 that Cabela's, Amazon and Brownells are asking. Of course there are different Leupold numbers for each variant so you'd have to search them all.

I'm saying that they are essentially the same in that they are both VX5-HD with one having more bells and whistles than the other and for more than twice the price they should have. Since the linked article said they were available from those 3 vendors I clicked on the Brownells link and read the description. From their description I got a Leupold product number. I went to gunbroker.com and searched that part number and found several sellers offering them for lots less than the $1799 that Cabela's, Amazon and Brownells are asking. Of course there are different Leupold numbers for each variant so you'd have to search them all.
Again they are not the same . The one I shared is a Mark 5HD not a VX big big difference. I don't know if you can get that color the only one I have seen was black . The article said that was painted that color for military so I don't know.

Again they are not the same . The one I shared is a Mark 5HD not a VX big big difference. I don't know if you can get that color the only one I have seen was black . The article said that was painted that color for military so I don't know.

My error then, and they are still cheaper at gunbroker.com, but not from all sellers there. The custom shop might do it for you tho.

Mk5 3-18 has been great on my 6.5 lb 6.5prc. Tracking flawlessly and return to zero so far so good. Locking turrets are great with low profile and audible crisp clicks. Low end mag reticle without illumination has been doable for me but my eyes are still good, and the glass quality is comparable to my NF's. If your held up on that low end reticle being too small make sure you get behind it actually mounted on a rifle. Once your eye relief is stabilized it was less of an issue for me. The 35 tube can be a minus but lots of room to dial and you can go Hawkins rings or raise your cheek weld somehow. I've been very happy with it for the money. If it's good for the military or gunwerks it's good enough for me!

I am done trying to make you understand they aren't the same and gunbroker doesn't have any. But knock yourself out

I understand that they aren't the same and said so earlier. I confused them with the VX5-HD which is easy to do so my bad there.

At the end of the linked article there are 3 sources listed., so I assume that means that they are selling the same scope as discussed in the article, except for color. Click on the Brownells link button. In the first listing there in the description
it gives the Leupold part number as 176445. Search gunbroker for Leupold 176445 and you will see at least 10 different sellers offering it, one as low as $1450 vs list price of $1800.

Click on the Amazon button and you can then click on each reticle for particulars about each one including price AND Leupold part number. Enter each part number in the search bar at gunbroker.com for any listings which might be available. Choose the right seller there for price and and which ones would whack you for sales tax.
I live about 70 miles from Brownells, but I'll be damned if I'd pay list price plus $126 in sales tax.

Why would the author list those sources if they weren't for the same scope?

The last time I tried selling a scope here the buyer used the gunbroker.com leverage against me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts