New high end scope decision

tyfo

I have been using what I call "mid range" optics for a while now and I think its finally time to step up to the big leagues. Currently I run all Sightron SIII on my rifles. I have used the mark 4, vx3, NXS, and Z5. This new scope will be used on two different rifles, one for deer and one for elk. I would like a scope that can be used up close and personal in areas such as the dark timber of the western Washington coast hunting elk and black tails, but also be used for shooting mulies in the southern Oregon desert or north Idaho back country. Right now I feel that 6 power is way too much for close quarters. Maybe its the sightrons narrow field of view but I have a hard time with it in the thick stuff, so I am thinking that 5X is the max I would go on the low side. I like a lot of magnification too so I dont want to give up my 24X on the high side, but with great glass I could probably do with anything 18X plus. Weight is also a concern, so I would like to stay around 25 oz or less. I want all of this and GREAT glass.

Now to the choices I have come down to and some others that are close. Right now my first choice is a March 2.5-25x52. This scope is everything I want, but I have a really big problem not being able to see something before I purchase it. Especially when I am spending this kind of money. I am also a little less than impressed with March's customer service. I figured since their US distributor is an hour from my house that I could go there to see one, but when I called to ask they said absolutely no and that they are setting up a better dealer network so maybe by the end of the year I could see one in a store some where. For a company that is trying to break into other markets besides the BR scene I think this is ludicrous and I'm not sure I want to directly support idiocy. Sorry for the rant just a little frustrated.

My close second is a Swarovski Z6 or Z6i 5x30x50. Once again it meets my criteria for weight, magnification, and glass. I do not like the turret set up and I'm not a big fan of the reticle selection. I know I can purchase other turret caps, but that still leaves me with a reticle I'm not crazy about. Good company and good wartanty as well.

Others that are in the race, but I would have to sacrifice something. Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56- HIGH weight and maybe lesser glass (Have not seen one), but rave reviews. Kahles K624I-high on weight and high on the low end mag, but the field of view is supposed to be very wide for 6X so it might work. Also FFP is foreign to me so I'm not sure if I would like switching. Swarovski X5i 5-25x56- just a little high on the weight. Probably in third place right now and making a run for first place if I can get over the weight. US optics ER5-25x58- HIGH on weight and FFP. Swarovski Z8i 2.3-18x56-high end mag is on the low side and it is untested and not available until june(ish).

Please give me some advice, experience, or other options. Thanks in advance.

I have the original SFP ATACR 5-25, and the newer FFP 4-16 ATACR. I have hunted Western Washington "dark timber" and can't imagine using either of these scopes for that.

Excellent glass for clear cuts etc., I love both scopes, but they just aren't the tools for such work.

We have similar habitat in NE Washington, and the Leupold VX6 3-18 is the front runner in a friends new build.

I have a 2-12 for such things, but the high end is lacking, at times. I'd trade for the 3-18 without second guesses.

Thanks for the input. If you say no to the ATACR because of its shear size then I agree and that's why it is down pretty far on the list. A 5x magnification is a little high for close stuff but I often have other scopes I used turned to 4-5 power while going through the brush. The main reason I'm OK with a 5x is because it gets me the top end I want and is still usable for short range. I would love it if swarovski would have released 3-24x56 z8i but they didn't so I'm still searching. The vx6 is a good scope but I don't want a good scope. I want a great scope. To my eye the vx6 is no better than the other scopes I've had in the past. If it had top tier glass they would be in the race for sure. Once again thanks.

If it were me, and this is to be a purely hunting scope, and I had a concession to make in any area, it would definitely be in the area of high end magnification. I like Harperc's usage of 2-12's for such activities.

I would not give in the areas of weight and would give little if any on glass.

I have a VX-6 in 3 to 18 exactly for the purpose of hunting in Washington's "dark timber" be it on the coast where I live now or up north of Spokane where I was born and raised. I have handled and seen March scopes in person and they are nice. The one you mentioned should work well for you. They have a hell of a zoom range so you don't give up anything on either end though around here you won't need 25X very often - though it does help in load development. I've had an eye on that scope myself so if you end up with it let us know how it works for you.

If you are going to be shooting past 500. Nothing like the extra magnification the 5.5 t0 22 gives you. NXS #434 and never look back.

I have a March 2.5-25x42 and 2.5-25x52. I do not believe you can find a scope with all of the features these scopes have especially when you put their weight into the equation. I am more than pleased with these scopes and recently bought a March 5-40 FFP for tactical matches. My experience with customer service was excellent. They repaired a scope that I dropped at no charge. I totally agree with you that not allowing you to handle a scope before purchase is a poor practice on the part of bullets.com. The one thing I do not like about the scopes is the price and getting a first hand feel and view through the glass would certainly make one feel better about spending that kind of money.

thanks for all the input. Its funny that i do the vast majority of my hunting around colville but didnt want to say that because i didnt think many people on here could relate to that area. I guess i was wrong. My shooting ranges will be anywhere from 30 yards to 1000+ on any of my hunting trips and i would like to be prepared for whatever presents itself without having two guns. For example last year I shot my WA elk at 560yards where the year before I shot one in the same area at less than 40. I have had a nxs in the past and sold it to buy sIII. To my eye the glass is very close I want really good glass now. Maybe a better way I should have phrased my question is by asking people to talk me into something other than the March.

I have a March 2.5-25x42 and 2.5-25x52. I do not believe you can find a scope with all of the features these scopes have especially when you put their weight into the equation. I am more than pleased with these scopes and recently bought a March 5-40 FFP for tactical matches. My experience with customer service was excellent. They repaired a scope that I dropped at no charge. I totally agree with you that not allowing you to handle a scope before purchase is a poor practice on the part of bullets.com. The one thing I do not like about the scopes is the price and getting a first hand feel and view through the glass would certainly make one feel better about spending that kind of money.

Maybe a private message is better for this request for information. Have you compared your 42mm with your 52mm in low light on something with sharp edges and some detail like antlers? Was there enough difference for the extra weight? How many more minutes with the larger one?

I was in your same shoes a few years back. I had always used Leupold and Zeiss. I still have several of both. When it came time for me to move up and get serious about long range hunting I chose the NXS #434. It is loaded and has all I need. I would like to play with one of your Sightron's in 50 power at a mile. I am sure the March's are great. It is just why spend the extra money unless that is not a consideration.

From what you explained in your first post I would advise sticking with a SFP scope. I bought a FFP steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 I love the glass the field of view the turrets but when it comes to hunting with it I hate it the reticle is way to small on low power and to big on high power. I have already replaced it with a VX6 and am loving that scope so far.

......I am also a little less than impressed with March's customer service. I figured since their US distributor is an hour from my house that I could go there to see one, but when I called to ask they said absolutely no

........Also FFP is foreign to me so I'm not sure if I would like switching........

Choosing high end optics is frustrating...almost a leap of faith, as it's near impossible to get hands on with a variety.

The FFP isn't necessarily a deal breaker for close ups, but it is absolutely a variable you should see for yourself. Illumination does help, but the reticle is definitely different than what most of us are used to.

I think FFP is best in the medium ranges. Last year I was set up in a stand with a view of multiple small openings from 125-600 yards.The deer don't linger long, pre ranging and using the reticle for the differences seems to be the way to go.

I keep forgetting because I haven't seen one yet-the Leupold VX6 4-24 might fit your needs, makes weight with a 34mm tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.