High end spotting scopes

DINK

This my first post but I lurked around here for a year or so. My question is when hunting deer and elk how valuable is a high end spotting scope? I have been thinking about buying one but I have a older leupold fixed 20x60mm spotting scope that has not left camp on my last two out west trips. Is a high end spotting scope one the them things once you have a good one you use all the time or should I spend my money on other things?
Thanks in advance for everyones advice,
Dink

Dink, It depends on your hunting methods. Not as important for elk, but necessary in open deer country out West. You can not hunt deer in the open spaces like you do back east where shots are usually closer. Your Leupold scope is not bad, just a little low in power, but would probably work for locating deer. Just wouldn't be as good for trophy estimation. Lots of guys use the 25X version of your scope. You do need a good lightweight tripod for your scope. Hike to a high point and sit for hours looking for your deer. Especially important to get there by dawn to catch deer out. After they bed, you can plan your stalk. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've had a Swarovski two-draw 20-60x for about 9 yrs now.
I don't use it all that much, but it's really nice for determining if the animal is the right one. In accordance with Murphys law I seem to need it the most when I don't bring it.

Probably wouldn't put so much money in the scope if I were to buy today.

Probably an overkill for most situations...but i also use a swaro 20-60

It is capable of seeing 30cal holes in white paper at 1000yards in good to perfect conditions...wont need that most times in hunting situations.

Gonna be a decision that no one can really make for you.

JB

It also greatly depends on if you like to trophy hunt or not. A good spotting scope will be the differance in determining if that elk is 330" or 360" And same for mulies and such where mass can be such an important part in overall score.

Also here in my state we have horn restrictions on dall sheep and they can be tricky to determine legal status from 1/2 mile away and even much closer at times. This is where it PAYS huge dividends. Do I shoot? or dont I?? I hate working as hard as I do to get into sheep country and find rams and not be able to tell if I can bag one or not because my optics suck. I now use a 20-60x65mm Swarovski scope and El 10x42 binos. This is some of the best $$ I have spent on hunting gear.

YOU CANNOT KILL WHAT YOU CANNOT SEE OR JUDGE!

NO joke about the shoot/no shoot restrictions in alaska we have a friend in seward who was telling me all the rules..everything has a bracket...strange stuff for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.