new here and I need an advice / ideas

balticfarmer

Hello,
My name is Theo Kleingarn and I´m located in northern Germany, directly at the baltic sea and I´m new here.
I really like this site and read through a lot of articles and post and got a lot of interessting input here.

Since 1st of April this year the hunters in our state ( Schleswig-Holstein) are forced to use lead-free ammo - Since we have an semi-communist goverment in coalition
with the "greens" ( 3/4 communists) they forbid hunting with lead-containin ammo.

"Long-range" in our region is about 250-350meters - more is nearly impossible because our area is not flat and "small" .
I had a Remington 700 in 308 as "sniper-rifle" and it dropped roebuck and deere quite good up to 300meter.
With the new law I was quite unsure what ammo to use in this rifle and since I got a good offer for my Remington and another good offer on a Steyr Scout
I sold the Remington.
Now I miss the possibility to reach out further and I think, I need a little more power ( I´m inveted 3 times a year to a driven hunt on elk)
Now Heym gives a reasonable offer on its SR30 precision

SR 30 PRECISION Geradezugbüchse - HEYM AG | HEYM Online Shop

They offer this rifle in 300 WinMag and - on request also in 338 WinMag and 8,5x63
8,5x63 is nearly impossible for me since I´m not reloding. 300WinMag could be a good sollution but the factory loads only offer 165grs. and are loosing velocity very much over the distance with lead-free bullets. I have no idea on the 338WinMags precision potential but it could be a good way.
My "dream-mashine" would be a SR30 in 338LapuaMag but if Heym decides to build one , it could cost me a 1000€ more. Our firearms -market is small and everything is quite expensive. If I want quality I have to look for a 2000€ + rifle
and almost the same for the scope...... and I´m not a millionaire .
(Sako 85 in 338LM about 3500€ plus scope)

What would you suggest?

Is there another factory - load / caliber / ammo, that delivers enough power(500meters) and precision (up to 700meters ;for foxes)
to drop instantly a 300kg elk, 100kg pig. If the pig, roebuck , deere, elk goes more than 100meters it is likely that he ends in the neigbours hunting area and could get lost because I´m not allowed to cross the border ( small and narrow Europe you understand?)
Every input is welcome and so please give me an advice.
Thanks in advance
Theo

Welcome Theo,

I have not idea what kind of "lead free" ammo is available in your part of the world, however a 300 Win mag with 165 grain Barnes, Nosler or Hornady copper bullets, while not really considered a long range combination here, would most certainly work well on elk sized game at 300 meters (of course depending on shot placement) and would work equally well on the smaller game.

Regards,
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.