New gun need advice

In my opinion you would be doing yourself a favor if you took the money you were going to buy a new gun with and spend it on reloading equipment and shoot the win mag. That will give you control over the performance you are looking for.

Looks like you already have it covered. The 308 for deer and the 300 for elk. I believe you just want a new gun and are looking for justification. So, scratch that itch with something in the 6.5 line. Lots of choices there.

7 Rem Mag. Run 168s for deer and elk. Plenty of power for 700 yards as long as you put the bullet whrre it needs to go. One load does it all.

Well i have it narrowed down to a 270 or 6.5 cm probably gonna be a savage 111 or 116 due to the rebuildability of those actions
Leaning abit tword the 6.5 cm. I know its a shot placement issue but reliabilty on elk is my last hang up

Comparing those two chamberings is apples to oranges. To me it's not a fair comparison.

People have killed elk with pointy sticks. Like you say it's about shot placement. Get the cartridge you really want and learn how to use it well.

It's not rocket surgery.

So ive decided 6.5 cm in the savage 116lw hunter. So where a good place for quality brass 300 wm and 6.5.

So ive decided 6.5 cm in the savage 116lw hunter. So where a good place for quality brass 300 wm and 6.5.

I just picked up some Norma brass for my CM. Haven't shot with any of it but I did weigh them for consistency and over 50 pieces the spread was 2.1 grains. If I cull the 2 low ones that I had then it's 1.8 over 48 pieces. It's about 10 grains heavier than my hornady stuff. I got sick of dealing with hornady brass. Midway had them on clearance last week.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.