New gun need advice

Bnp1088

So here is my situation. I plan on getting a new gun for deer and elk. What i have currently is a sig 556, a savage chambered in 308 and a savage in 300wm i love the 300 wm but dont like the saucer sized chunks it takes out. The 308 was in the shop. I would like a round thats good for 200-700 yards with good factory loads and cheap reload supplies. I was thinking 243 270 6.5 creedmoor or 7mm08

bnp1088

The bullet is more important that the rifle that is pushing it in terms of what it does to the target animal. The 300 Win you have will stop taking saucer sized chunks out if you switch to a harder bullet such as a Barnes TTSX or similar. It also has bunches of bullets available for reloading and factory ammo is available to do just about anything. But.... if you are set on a something new, get something in 6.5mm for deer and stick with the 300 WM for elk as the cartridges that you mentioned are a tad low on the power scale for elk with the exception of the 270.

Mudrunner

So my only issue with the 308 is it weighs like 12 lbs empty which is a strong negative when hunting my rocky terrain. That and the short barrel (20 in) makes me want to keep it for shorter ranges in kinder terrain

Also factory ammo availability and price is a concern az i dont have a reloading setup yet but plan on it

A 308 with factory gold medal match 168's hits optimum barrel length at 18 inches. I wouldn't complain if I had two extra inches.

Also if youcan't handle a 12 pound gun, a 8.5-9 pound gun won't make any difference.

But I get the need for a new gun. Happens to me a couple times a year.

For my money, I'd get a 6.5 CM or similar. I'd also go the custom route either on a custom or trued action with a premium barrel chambered by a reputable smith.

I've heard accounts of 22 inch barrels getting 2800+ with hand loads, which can do the work on deer or similar out to 600-700 yards.

Best

For factory loads, 6.5CM all the way. Definitely a wide variety from target to hunting. However to make it easier on your self you could buy another 308 that way your just buying the same components and not buying them for different calibers. Easier or me anyways. But if your itching a 6.5mm then by all means scratch it!

Also factory ammo availability and price is a concern az i dont have a reloading setup yet but plan on it

Another vote for the .300 WM! The .300 WM is my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. I have 3 of them and one is a Savage 111F that I got in the early 1990s (had RB trigger, MB install, and stock upgrade) and still shooting 1/2 MOA my handloads if I do my part.

Until you're up and running, check out these offerings >>> 300 Winchester Magnum Ammunition

Good luck!

morning, listen to engineering 101!! Barnes r the way to go. because

of the engineering design of the barnes bullets the TTSX and LRX r made

to use a lighter bullet. I use the 135gr. TTSX in my 308. deer, hogs, and

coyotes have 1" hole on exit. I use Barnes bullets in my 223, 22-250AI

257wbee, 7mmWbee,300Win and 340Wbee. all have excellent accuracy

and terminal performance. THK. U lightbulb:)gun)

hi guys i have a ?
brand new tikka t3x tac a1 6.5 creed more
shooting hornady 140 gr eld match ammo
i cleaned it and shot 2 rounds allmost the same hole the third ways off by half inch
i cleaned it and it ways really dirty shot two all most the same hole again the third ways off i cleaned it again and crap it seems to be really dirty after only three shots
is that normal with this ammo

It may be. Try different ammo and find out. More than likely it's a combination of the gun, the ammo and the nut behind the trigger.

Fliers sound like a gun issue. Rough barrel, sloppy bedding or something similar.

Which is why I recommend custom or the highest quality possible.

If I was a world record bench rest shooter and i miss, (factory rifle) it's probably the gun or ammo.

With a custom from a good smith and good barrel I know that if I missed it was because I did something wrong with my shooting technique or ammo.

With high quality reloading equipment and techniques I know that it was something wrong the gun or me if I miss.

Start replacing things with stuff you know works and you'll find the problem. In your case it's impossible to say. See what I'm saying?

yes i miss no dought but the bbl gets dirty quick i have the same problem with my win model 70 in 243 shooting hornady ammo two or three shots and they start straying
i usto reload years ago but i ways not sure if you can still reload better than the match ammo maybe i will have to try a diff brand but every one says hornady 140 eld match is the way to go
thanks

hi guys i have a ?
brand new tikka t3x tac a1 6.5 creed more
shooting hornady 140 gr eld match ammo
i cleaned it and shot 2 rounds allmost the same hole the third ways off by half inch
i cleaned it and it ways really dirty shot two all most the same hole again the third ways off i cleaned it again and crap it seems to be really dirty after only three shots
is that normal with this ammo

FYSA, I understand you're new but as a courtesy to the OP, you might want to consider posting your question on a separate thread to avoid hijacking this.

Please take no offense. Cheers!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.