New Guy question

Well, went shooting earlier. Tried some of the techniques suggested. Light pressure on bipods, hand on center of scope but just as dead weight not pressing down, tried adjusting the bipod legs to different length. Also as a comparison took out my daughter's .243 win, but that has such a short length of pull that getting comfortable behind it was a big fail.

Light pressure on the bipod and turning down the zoom to about 4x helped some but not the cure I was hoping for. It looks like I'll be trying the Witt's brake.

Lucky though, the wife offered to go with me and video so I can check my position is square behind the rifle...She's a good egg that way.

I've been reading the forums here for years. I've finally decided to ask a question that I don't remember seeing previously.

I've been having a hard time spotting shots from my .308win. Its a varmint profile factory barrel and mounted in a B&C stock with the aluminum block bedding. Its topped with a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2, 3-18x50. I have printed some really good groups with military Mk316 Mod 0 ammo. I have access to a big range in eastern NC and shoot to 800 whenever I get a chance.

My problem is spotting my shots. I know I have pressure on the bipods. I check NPA, inhale, close eyes, exhale, open eyes still on target. I believe I'm square behind the rifle but obviously I can't see myself to confirm.

My question is: Is it possible to overload the bipod? Could I be putting too much pressure on it causing it to slip under recoil? Shooting surfaces vary, sometimes its gravel, sometimes grass some times rooftops.( like I said its a big facility), today was in my pasture with real tall grass.

My accuracy seems fine. I was shooting a 4" steel plate today at 350m. I could see the target swinging after the hit but can never seem to watch the impact.

Let it rip fellas, I got thick skin, and thanks.
I try to have a spotter with me. I can't spot a shot by myself using anything bigger than a 25-06 due to recoil. My spotter uses a spotting scope and calls impact for me.

You need a good brake. It won't get any simpler than that.
Follow this advice ^^^
I have a number of 419 Hellfire brakes, just got a new 25 Saum with the brake in the link, I am impressed.

I've been reading the forums here for years. I've finally decided to ask a question that I don't remember seeing previously.

I've been having a hard time spotting shots from my .308win. Its a varmint profile factory barrel and mounted in a B&C stock with the aluminum block bedding. Its topped with a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2, 3-18x50. I have printed some really good groups with military Mk316 Mod 0 ammo. I have access to a big range in eastern NC and shoot to 800 whenever I get a chance.

My problem is spotting my shots. I know I have pressure on the bipods. I check NPA, inhale, close eyes, exhale, open eyes still on target. I believe I'm square behind the rifle but obviously I can't see myself to confirm.

My question is: Is it possible to overload the bipod? Could I be putting too much pressure on it causing it to slip under recoil? Shooting surfaces vary, sometimes its gravel, sometimes grass some times rooftops.( like I said its a big facility), today was in my pasture with real tall grass.

My accuracy seems fine. I was shooting a 4" steel plate today at 350m. I could see the target swinging after the hit but can never seem to watch the impact.

Let it rip fellas, I got thick skin, and thanks.
I can't see it it impact while on bipod but I can from a lead sled, I think that is okay if your accuracy is fine

I have been thinking about a brake. That's how I got here. I figured this was my last stop before buying a brake. I've been looking into a Witt's clamp on brake. I'm just not sure I want the extra decibels. I'm already half deaf, sorta...

I usually shoot with the zoom set between 6 and 10 power depending on range to the target. I try to keep is so that I have just enough zoom to clearly see the target, but keep enough field of view to see the surrounding area. You know in keeping with cardinal rule number 4.

I thought of using a strap from a belt loop to the bipod like some guys favor for shooting off of tripods. Maybe I'll try that.

The attached pic is 3 shots on a 12 inch steel plate at 400yd. This is fairly typical of the accuracy I'm getting. Just can't spot as they hit. Maybe its much ado about nothing but if I were to hunt out west I sure would feel better about being able to spot the hits.
G E T A S U P P R E S S O R. lol. They help alot.

Wow, lots of great suggestions.

I'm using a Harris sbrm notched bipod 6-9". the tilt mechanism on it is a bit of a bear to tighten down for leveling if I were to adjust the legs to different length. I'll give it a whirl though.

I actually shoot a bunch of .22lr for practice. I do positional shooting out to 100m. It just happens that the drift and drop of that .22lr is a 1:4 scale of my .308 win. so I use same elevation adjustment on .22 at 100m as my .308 at 400m. this way I can practice LR without always going to the big range.

At the risk of sounding like a smartypants, how are you able to calculate the amount of pressure on the firing hand? If I could actually get it that consistent every time that would be great! I'm just not sure how I would measure that.

Realistically, my hunting ranges don't extend that far. I could probably do 90% or more of my hunting with my 30/30 easily enough. I'm just chasing that next level of performance. And on the occasion I can shoot on the 1200 yd KD range I'd like to be one of the guys who at least looks like he knows what he's doing.

should be like about a firm handshake and no more. The idea is to reduce hand torque, like shooting a bow. You want the rifle to be neutral. I have a problem with it, and always have. To fix it, I leave my thumb on the side of grip and my pinky finger is the only thing gripping the rifle, and I focus my trigger finger to come straight back.

it's not anything I'd tell someone else to do but that's how much "I" had to tweak to get perfect results. A lot of it had to do with my biceps flexion. **** weight lifting.

Last edited:
funny you mention shooting a bow...I must be the world's worst archer.. can't shoot fist sized groups at 15 yds with a bow. I'm right handed and left eye dominant with a severe astigmatism.

On the rifle I put my thumb on the stock where I can feel the end of the receiver. Then, I sort of squeeze my thumb and forefinger together like a pinch. I don't know that its correct, but I can do it pretty consistently that way. I figure consistency is more important than doing it like someone else.

funny you mention shooting a bow...I must be the world's worst archer.. can't shoot fist sized groups at 15 yds with a bow. I'm right handed and left eye dominant with a severe astigmatism.

On the rifle I put my thumb on the stock where I can feel the end of the receiver. Then, I sort of squeeze my thumb and forefinger together like a pinch. I don't know that its correct, but I can do it pretty consistently that way. I figure consistency is more important than doing it like someone else.

Yep, that's a good take away. My over all point was tweak as necessary. Do what you need to let the rifle not be induced with pressures and forces on it that it doesn't need. Hardest part of tuning a rifle is tuning the shooter.

Chris a blunt question. Do you shoot handgun? Are you familiar with"push-pull"? If you are, try and translate that principle to your rifle. Avoid squeezing. Again, just my opinion. Good luck.

Chris a blunt question. Do you shoot handgun? Are you familiar with"push-pull"? If you are, try and translate that principle to your rifle. Avoid squeezing. Again, just my opinion. Good luck.

As a matter of fact I shoot pistols rather a lot. Additionally I'm old enough to remember being taught the push pull grip in my military days. For clarification, are you saying that the push is coming from the shoulder and the pull is coming from the firing grip bottom 3 fingers? Or is the non firing hand coming into play?

Quintus let me tell you everybody on the 1000 yard firing line shooting matches with the most accurate rifles in the world wish they shot 1/4 minute. It would break world records. Very few guys are shooting 1/4 moa at 800 consistently. Some matches only require 5 shots in light gun which is 17 pounds but our matches you need 10 for light gun. Anything under 1/2 moa is excellent. 1/2 moa at Williamsport would win the aggs at end of yr. So yes 4 inch groups with factory ammo at 800 yards is really good. Your doing great and are doing better than average easily.
Shep

As for shooting from a bipod a forward press against the legs is the best way to get better groups. If shooting from a bench put a ratchet straps across the top right where the bipod goes. Put the feet right up against the strap and push into it a little. Most shooting mats have a strap across the front this is for bipod loading. Loading up the bipod will also help keep the rifle down when you shoot making it easier to see your impacts. Give this a try and I think you will see a difference. But as I said already your shooting great . Keep it up.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.