New Guy question

GuroChris

Foot of the Blue Ridge in the shadow of Gun Mtn
I've been reading the forums here for years. I've finally decided to ask a question that I don't remember seeing previously.

I've been having a hard time spotting shots from my .308win. Its a varmint profile factory barrel and mounted in a B&C stock with the aluminum block bedding. Its topped with a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2, 3-18x50. I have printed some really good groups with military Mk316 Mod 0 ammo. I have access to a big range in eastern NC and shoot to 800 whenever I get a chance.

My problem is spotting my shots. I know I have pressure on the bipods. I check NPA, inhale, close eyes, exhale, open eyes still on target. I believe I'm square behind the rifle but obviously I can't see myself to confirm.

My question is: Is it possible to overload the bipod? Could I be putting too much pressure on it causing it to slip under recoil? Shooting surfaces vary, sometimes its gravel, sometimes grass some times rooftops.( like I said its a big facility), today was in my pasture with real tall grass.

My accuracy seems fine. I was shooting a 4" steel plate today at 350m. I could see the target swinging after the hit but can never seem to watch the impact.

Let it rip fellas, I got thick skin, and thanks.

I have been thinking about a brake. That's how I got here. I figured this was my last stop before buying a brake. I've been looking into a Witt's clamp on brake. I'm just not sure I want the extra decibels. I'm already half deaf, sorta...

I usually shoot with the zoom set between 6 and 10 power depending on range to the target. I try to keep is so that I have just enough zoom to clearly see the target, but keep enough field of view to see the surrounding area. You know in keeping with cardinal rule number 4.

I thought of using a strap from a belt loop to the bipod like some guys favor for shooting off of tripods. Maybe I'll try that.

The attached pic is 3 shots on a 12 inch steel plate at 400yd. This is fairly typical of the accuracy I'm getting. Just can't spot as they hit. Maybe its much ado about nothing but if I were to hunt out west I sure would feel better about being able to spot the hits.

Attachments

• 20191122_115131[1].jpg
    20191122_115131[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
I've been reading the forums here for years. I've finally decided to ask a question that I don't remember seeing previously.

I've been having a hard time spotting shots from my .308win. Its a varmint profile factory barrel and mounted in a B&C stock with the aluminum block bedding. Its topped with a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2, 3-18x50. I have printed some really good groups with military Mk316 Mod 0 ammo. I have access to a big range in eastern NC and shoot to 800 whenever I get a chance.

My problem is spotting my shots. I know I have pressure on the bipods. I check NPA, inhale, close eyes, exhale, open eyes still on target. I believe I'm square behind the rifle but obviously I can't see myself to confirm.

My question is: Is it possible to overload the bipod? Could I be putting too much pressure on it causing it to slip under recoil? Shooting surfaces vary, sometimes its gravel, sometimes grass some times rooftops.( like I said its a big facility), today was in my pasture with real tall grass.

My accuracy seems fine. I was shooting a 4" steel plate today at 350m. I could see the target swinging after the hit but can never seem to watch the impact.

Let it rip fellas, I got thick skin, and thanks.
I think a 308 has a bit too much recoil to spot shots thru the scope with.

I have a Witt bolt on brake on my 300 WM, I was skeptical, several hundred rounds later, I'm a believer in their product. I'm certain others can speak to other quality brakes as well, I chose Witts due to it being a bolt on and saved me the cost of threading the barrel. Yes, I'm cheap...😁

GC,
Believe it or not, and I was skeptical, all things being equal, my groups tightened up when I put it on. Admittedly, could very well have been from the recoil reduction it provides. Had a rando next to me at the range try it out as well to validate and he actually ordered one on his phone standing there (he brought calipers in his shooting bag).

I've got the measurements written down and been to their website at least a half dozen times, cart filled and just never placed the order.

If I don't like the result I can always take it off I guess. That's why I was looking into the clamp on brakes in the first place. Maybe I'll spend the money and just drink cheap coffee for the next month.

PRS is great, but I cut my teeth on the .308 win. Plus I've never had a deer take a step after hitting it with the load I'm using for hunting, which is different from the one I mentioned above. And every once in a while a sniper buddy "forgets" a box or two of ammo on the firing line when he packs up, so it would be a shame to let that go to waste.

I'll add that today I was shooting a .308 at 3" plates at 300. I was hitting them consistently but came off the rifle and had to "recover" from the recoil to see the plate hanger swinging to verify the hit. The steel they use at my range does not ring - it thuds. Some kind of safety steel I guess. I think a lot of it has to do with training and managing recoil but one things for sure - I ain't there yet and I've been at it for a while!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.