new guy questions

ARScout223

I'm in the Army and currently deployed to SW Asia, and a while back my driver asked me if I'd ever consider going hunting with him when we get back. I don't know much about rifles so I'm looking for a little advice.
What is a good all around caliber? 7mm, .308, 30-06? What manufacturers make quality entry level rifles/ scopes? With all the aftermarket parts would it be better to get a custom rifle made or buy a factory built model and trick it?

Thanks in advance.

Definitely need some more information in order to more completely answer your question....

1. Game you intend to hunt (varmints, deer, bigger? all of them?)
  2. Do you want one rifle to do it all? or do you want a rifle that will shoot 2 out of 3 and then maybe build a second rifle down the road?
  3. Range at which you would like to engage targets/game
  4. Terrain....will you be packing/toting the gun around or just plant it "here" so you can shoot "there"
  5. Budget
Without the answers to those questions I'll say that generally speaking if you're new to shooting, get yourself a reasonable quality factory rifle. Personally, I started with low-end Remingtons and built them up as my knowledge and budget expanded. By doing this, you can begin shooting right away and start learning. If you buy a Savage or Remington, you have a rifle that is a great platform to begin customizing. Here are the write-ups on two of my rifles.....

This rifle is my "carry" gun. It weighs 9lbs and I tote it on my shoulder up and down the hills here in VA while chasing deer.....As an FYI, this rifle started out as a low-end Remington 700 Mountain Rifle.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

This rifle is my "set it here" and shoot waaaaaaay over there rifle. I use it for varmints and deer. This rifle started out as a Remington 700 SPS Varmint (Remington Model 700™ SPS™ Varmint Specifications)

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

We'll probably start out on deer to see how I like it. I've always enjoyed shooting but I've never been hunting before. Moose or Elk aren't out of the question but I don't know if there's any in Texas(probably not). I'm guessing the range will be anything between 100 out to maybe 400m.

I've been looking at a Remington SPS in either 7mm or .308. For optics, I really don't know what's good. I was looking at a Bushnell Legend 5-15x40. I could see myself eventually spending a couple thousand on a rifle and optics but right now my budget is kinda limited and this combination looks affordable and practical.

We'll probably start out on deer to see how I like it. I've always enjoyed shooting but I've never been hunting before. Moose or Elk aren't out of the question but I don't know if there's any in Texas(probably not). I'm guessing the range will be anything between 100 out to maybe 400m.

I've been looking at a Remington SPS in either 7mm or .308. For optics, I really don't know what's good. I was looking at a Bushnell Legend 5-15x40. I could see myself eventually spending a couple thousand on a rifle and optics but right now my budget is kinda limited and this combination looks affordable and practical.

The Rem700 SPS is a good platform to start with. Given that your longest shot will be 400, I would encourage you to stick with the 'standard' cartridges (308, 7-08). 7mag is nice, but the recoil can be prohibitive if you haven't shot one.

In terms of optics, look at the Bushnell Elite, Leupold VXI and VXII, Nikon Buckmaster.

Thanks a lot. You've been really helpful. I always feel like I'm going to get laughed at when I tell people I'm in the Army then say I don't know anything about rifles, but a hunting rifle is way different than a M4.

Always glad to help.

Being in the army, I would expect you to know the M16 and M4 inside out. But my expectation would just about stop there. The Army is not just a bunch of guys with guns. There's gotta' be some fellas that are pretty smart too in terms of strategy and technology.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.