New Guy question

I get that the 308 is a better hunting round and if your happy with it that's great. Point being the PRS guys are shooting a timed event and spotting your misses is very important. Spotting rounds with a 308 is hard to do unless you are shooting a very heavy rifle with a brake.

I've got the measurements written down and been to their website at least a half dozen times, cart filled and just never placed the order.

If I don't like the result I can always take it off I guess. That's why I was looking into the clamp on brakes in the first place. Maybe I'll spend the money and just drink cheap coffee for the next month.
GC, was right there with you and, like you, figured I could pull it off if it didn't work and not be out the farm. With the recoil reduction I've experienced w/300 wm, I'm guessing a .308 would be down around a 5.56 (guessing here, never tried one). Witt is a great company to deal with, solid product that I would order again.

Joe

Totally agree that those PRS guys sling lead at a level well above my skillset. Also I admit my affinity for .308 is mostly nostalgic. I was hoping that there was something simple I wasn't considering. The good news it seems, is that doesn't appear to be the case. I'll take my daughter's .243 win out (shh don't tell her) and see if that's true. If I can spot shots with that maybe I'll know my fundamental technique is good.

Then I'll buy the brake because,,toys....

Totally agree that those PRS guys sling lead at a level well above my skillset. Also I admit my affinity for .308 is mostly nostalgic. I was hoping that there was something simple I wasn't considering. The good news it seems, is that doesn't appear to be the case. I'll take my daughter's .243 win out (shh don't tell her) and see if that's true. If I can spot shots with that maybe I'll know my fundamental technique is good.

Then I'll buy the brake because,,toys....
The best thing you can do is thread the barrel and put an aggressive brake on there, I'd recommend a Terminator T2 or T3.
You'll be able to spot hits no problem.
I run a T3 on my 7.5 lb 338 NM and can spot hits every time if I'm loaded on the bipod.

Accuracy hasn't been an issue with the brake, it is a solid .5 moa rifle. Nothing fancy, a factory Tikka superlite, but shoots great!

Attachments

• 20191227_153949_006.jpg
    20191227_153949_006.jpg
    831 KB · Views: 52
Western,

How heavy would you say you are loaded into the bipod? I feel like I'm really leaning into it but still no joy. Its a 14lb rifle. I would think I'd be able to spot shots with that but, not so much.
Not real heavy just a little forward pressure, also I rest one hand over the center of the scope it really helps.
At 14lbs a 308 wouldn't move with a good brake.

"PRS guys" are using a 6mm in open. It's more than just recoil. People are loading super hot rounds to get flat trajectory to keep all adjustments minimal and everything close to center. Recoil is a plus. A 16-18 lb gun in 6mm is already overkill for recoil.

for tactical division people still have to use .308.

Either way, it's a technique thing. Soft shoulder and getting behind the gun is the two things that help with recoil. No you don't need to super load the bipod. It doesn't help. The guys at the hide were trying to help some poor soul with a similar question, someone linked a few good videos with visual aid. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.