New father

PatrickMadison357

I'm a new father our daughters 6 months old, Sarah and I are expecting another one in November, i'm hoping its a boy. Any advice on getting a girl into shooting sports? We're moving to Texas this summer hopefully by September. I have a 11 year old step son from Sarahs previous relationship we get along great hes always wanting to go hunting but with a new child its unexplored territory for me

Last edited:
This is the best post I've read all week!

I was blessed with 3 boys. I have no idea how to handle the other kind. 😜

I would say to get any of them doing anything, make sure you are patient with them - and make it fun!

Whatever you do, post your results here. It is also a great way to put a smile on your face and see what others are doing in the outdoors.

Thanks for passing on your great info!

My daughter always wanted to be with dad so I said super.I gave her a 243 and loaded some reduced loads and she had a ball!
She hunted with me many times and then she grew up and got married.I have 2 grand children a boy and a girl so I got more chances.
Reduced loads are the key and great hearing protection.Enjoy

Get them shooting cans with a 22, targets etc. Take them on scouting trips looking at critters. Expose them to binos, spotters.
Let them in on a hunt with family and friends. Make it a fun camp out. At some point they will let you know if they are interested in hunting. Don't make them go hunting. If they just can't pull the trigger on an animal, don't sweat it. As long as they have fun with you.

Quality air rifle first, accurate, no noise, safety the same. Safety glasses, their own! Breakable targets, balloons, empty eggs, clay birds, CD's, wooden match sticks.....you get it. Move onto paper varmint targets. Get creative, alum cans sitting on board, off string and do on. No glass is good first lesson plus picking up waste.

HAVE FUN! No pressure to succeed just be there.

You don't have to hunt for your kids if they are hunting with you!

Last edited: