The father of a Colombine victim speaks out....

Pete K.

DARRELL SCOTT TESTIMONY
Guess our national leaders didn't expect this, hmm? On Thursday, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton, Colorado, was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee What he said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful. They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness. The following is a portion of the transcript:

"Since the dan of creation there has been both good & evil in the hearts of men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.

"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.
"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed hey had anything to do with Rachel's murder I would be their strongest opponent.
I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy-it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. "I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best. This was written way before I knew I would be speaking here today:

Your laws ignore our deepest needs,
Your words are empty air.
You've stripped away our heritage,
You've outlawed simple prayer.
Now gunshots fill our classrooms,
And precious children die.
You seek for answers everywhere,
And ask the question "Why?"
You regulate restrictive laws,
Through legislative creed.
And yet you fail to understand,
That God is what we need!

"Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, soul, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and reek havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictve laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws. "Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.
"As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very eyes-He did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America, and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offerd by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him. To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA - I give to you a sincere challenge. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first stone!
My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!"

Do what the media did not - - let the nation hear this man's speech. Please send this out to everyone you can!
Pete K.

What i am about to say here will be regarded by some to be quite contraversial but it is something i feel i had to say.

The events of Colombine and those of Dunblane here in Britain are indeed very tragic and should not be allowed to happen again. Those that commited these haenus crimes knew right from wrong and still commited these acts but to say that had religion been allowed to be preached in schools, it might not have happened is absolute nonscence, bad is bad. Saying that not acknowledging our spiritual side leaves us open to becoming evil, prejudiced and full of hatred is completely absurd.

Since when has religion had the monopoly on what is right and wrong, you do not have to be a believer to know what is good or bad, you do not have to be a believer to have compassion, morals, decency, and good judgement. Dont forget the amount of evil that has been commited in the name of religion by so called "righteous" people.

I am a firm advocate of no religion in schools and wish they would do the same here in Britain. Single faith schools cause alot of problems where the ethnic minority becomes the ethnic majority, Indians, Pakistanis Bangladeshis etc, all practice different religeons. We have Muslim clerics preaching hatred towards christians, if these christians think that they are immune from this hatred because they have faith, they are all living in cloud cuckoo land.

I have no problem with children being taught about religion but draw the line at them being taught to be religious.
When children are adults and understand the meaning of religion properly, then they can decide.

Ian.

Pete K.
Thank you for sharing that.I would have to agree with a lot of what He said.

centerpunch,
I would also have to agree with you on the fact that religion should not be forced on anybody.But what you have to realize is that evoloution is also a religion even though it is not portrayed as such.And is forced on people in public schools.
Even the strongest atheist knows He has a creator,but will deny it.
I also believe having religion pushed on students in the public school would not have prevented this shooting But I do believe you should be able to pray and bring your bible to school and read it in public. including teachers!

Here is something to think about..
If you were the devil how would you go about destroying a country and the people?
who would you attack? would you attack the leaders such as the school teachers,judges,lawyers,presidents?
If I were the devil that's who I would attack and deceive.
foolishness is bound up in the hearts of children. And foolishness influences foolishness (this is a known fact)

It says in the bible "train up a child in the way He should go and when he is old he will not turn from it."
(proverbs 22:6)
what do you think is the best way to assure your childs upbringing? is it to turn their upbringing over to the goverment? I do not feel it is. This is why my wife stays at home and takes care of and teaches our children and I also have a lot of influence on my children and wife.I realize this seems crazy to most of you, but just remember when you think you can't do with only one income that the "love" of money and the love of "things"and the love of "power" are the root of all evil. Please don't read this wrong I didn't say money,things and power were the root of all evil.

If you want to make a difference or impact first examine yourself and your family and that in itself will be the biggest witness anybody can be.(good or bad)

A lot of time unbelievers and God haters will go to the bible and take things out of context to prove a point contrary to what the bible says.Do not be decieved by these people. The man who is firmly grounded in the knowledge and wisdom of the bible and God and has faith in Jesus, this man will not be easily shaken.The devil will not get a foothold in him.

Len B,
I have not read the forum rules in awhile and appologize if we were to not talk "religion" feel free to deleat this if you choose.

308nate

[ QUOTE ]
If you were the devil how would you go about destroying a country and the people?

[/ QUOTE ]
Reminds me of a quote:
[ QUOTE ]
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The man's poem hit the nail on the head, the King James version teaches Love not hate.Center Punch you are entitled to your opinion .....

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.