New build

sharpshooter1

So I've decided to build a rig! I've got a stevens 200 .30-06 that I am going to work off of. Here's what I'm thinkin':
Pac-nor 29" #7 contour stainless match grade barrel
Callahan .300 inch recoil lug
SSS tactical bolt handle
Richards microfit prone?culbertson style laminate in Black/gray or Stockade SVT in black
EGW 25 MOA base
Burris Xtreme tactical rings
Super sniper 16X
Harris 6-9 or 9-13-can't decide
Holland QD if I go w/ the ultra

I'm still a little unsure about caliber, I am thinking a 7mm rem mag or ultra mag w/ 180 grain bergers or the 6.5-284 with 140 grain bergers and 142 sierras. What ya'll think? sharpshooter
P.S. I will be shooting paper out to 1300 yards, and live targets out to 900-100(once I practice enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

Sounds like you have it all planned out. With a #7 taper I'd say go with the 7mm RUM, that kind of weight even without a brake will still be tolerable (I like breaks).

I like the 180 Bergers but I like the 200 Wildcats more.

I've been from Wyoming to Texas to Quebec and soon Alberta and have never needed anything shorter than the 9-13". I purchased my first leg notch model Harris this year and I'm in love with it. It's so much easier to use with the longer heavier barrels.

Have you seen Joel Russo's laminated A5L's? I'm not trying to change your mind but they are a pretty sharp laminated stock.

your set up looks good , I would use a Joel Russo stock over the Richards Microfit , much better product and if you have to have a synthetic then the SVT is a good one , Kevin builds a fine stock also.

one thing I would add would be a trigger from SSS.

Not heard anything bout the A-5L.... pics please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm not really set on a particular stick, I just like the vertical grips. I reaaally like the manner's MCS-GAT, but I need something a little less expensive for my first build.

JD, I got the factory trigger down to about 3 pounds with no creep, I don't really like them much lighter....

Here
DSCN1066.jpg
DSCN1105.jpg

Well, since it's a savage action, and I wouldn't be lying if I said I know quite a lot about them, I am going to do all the smithing myself. I also plan on becoming a gunsmith when I am 21 or so, I would be one now, it's just that I can't really get an FFL and not many people are going to trust their guns to a 16 year old /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Don't worry, I am not going to just bolt the thing together and attempt to shoot a deer from 1500 yards, I understand that LR shooting is very complicated and I still have much to learn. I also know that experience it the most valuable form of learning. But anyways thanks for all the replies, I also am going to give those A-5L's a second look....

A-5L is $265.00 inletted for action and bbl channel.

Sporters are $200.00 inletted for action and bbl channel.

Target stocks are $275.00 and up depending on the width.

awesome! I will let you know tomorrow, I need some sleep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif How long does it usually take to build these stocks? Thanks, sharpshooter

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.