New gun build

Long Range

This is my first and I want to make it right. So here goes first off is the action should I go with a custom such as a Stiller or any other that would be good but still affordable or should I buy a rem 700 donor and have it worked up. The 700 would do the job I know but is a custom that much better because of of the added details such as a tighter bolt, extra long barrel tenon, heavier recoil lug, beter extractor for magnums, and heavier platform. I guess what I'm asking is the price difference worth it. The barrel will be a Broughton around 28 or so with 5c 9 twist. And stock leaning towards a Mcmillen M40a or T5a. The caliber Im interested in is a 7mm-300 WSM. The 7mm has always been a favorite of mine and the 7mm have a great Bc. Probably going to do it on a long action so that I can seat the bullets out far enough to maximize case capacity. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated because like I said this is my first and I hope to do it right.
Thanks.

If you don't already have the action then the money difference (depending) would be minimal by the time the Rem action is upgraded and with its initial cost. Using a custom action would also increase the resale value if you ever decided to let it go. The finished product would be a upgraded Rem or a fully custom rifle.

There are many variables and the options should be compared. If the cost is not prohibitive I would build the custom.

What custom action to buy there are several to choose from. I have looked at most of them online but have no experience with any of them just looking for the pros an cons. I really want a custom but don't know were to start.

I use a lot of Stiller. For the money I think it is the best deal out there. I can sell you a Stiller and would be glad to talk to you about your build . Thanks Dan

Having been down this road...

Find a gunsmith you want to work with and work through him. Would you act as the general contractor building your dream home if you knew nothing about construction?

I've done both ways with the actions. Getting a Stiller Tac300 is probably the best way to go. Better than a reworked 700 and less expensive than a full blown custom.

Good luck and have fun! Also, tripple your expected build time and double your budget:D You'll have a lot less stress and feel better when it's over!

Gene

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will go with a custom action rather than a worked up remmy the question now is were is the best place to find one or do u order direct from them.

I don not know about Bugholes, but I can personally speak for Gene Sears. They have been around for I know at least 40 years and are some of the best people to deal with.

If you know what you are looking for and give yourself some time, such as in build time length or even half. You can find some real nice rifles on this forum in classifieds for less wait and $$. I started a build and a week later saw my dream gun, then my build had a bump, and sometimes they do and cost me more time. I do have EXACTLY what i WANTED BUT PAID PREMIUM.

Thanks guys for your help I see it defentaly may take longer to build than I had hoped but that's ok I would rather do it right and take longer to have it the way I want it.

Hi Long Range,
I'm in the process of gathering info for my first build as well so I thought I would share what little I've learned so far.
First off you really can't go wrong with any of the many good custom actions out there. Defiance, Pierce, Stiller, BAT, Borden, Surgeon among others are worth checking out.

I think the advice about choosing a gunsmith you trust is the best advice you can get. A good smith with experience can tell you what works and doesn't work for him and he can help narrow your search for quality components greatly!
Quality components when put together by a quality gunsmith will not only give you the results you are looking for in your build but also the confidence in the finished product. In my experience confidence goes a long way in shooting sports of any kind.

You'll get many opinions on this site and you should welcome them with open arms but in the end your gunsmith and your opinion are the ones that count!

There are some very good gunsmiths on this site.

Best of luck!!!
Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.