New Beast from Allen Precision Shooting!!!

The lots I have tested of both show that RL50 is noticeably faster burning then VV20N29. VV20N29 is a very large kernel size, much larger then RL50 so it will displace much more volume for a given powder charge. RL50 is actually a pretty dense for volume stick powder.

Comparing RL50 to H50BMG, some lots seem identical, some slightly faster or slower, just depends on the lots of each being compared, similar though in both burn rate and density. I would say RL50 is slightly more dense then H50BMG.

Thanks Kirby. What you said is not what quickload claims. I believe what you said over quickload. You would know you tested it. Thanks a lot this helps me.

RL50 is more dense then 20N29 so to fill a given volume, RL50 will have more weight then 20N29 for a given volume.

However RL50 is much quicker burning. When developing loads for my 510 Maximus with the 815 gr Lehigh bore rider, I can use up to 290 grains of 20N29 with top loads, with RL50, it pressures out at 275 grains.

That makes complete sense. I will have to give RL50 a try since H-50 is no longer imported.

Its a good powder, can not say its AS stable as H50BMG over wide temp changes but its pretty good in the testing I have done.

I used H50BMG A LOT in my 338 Allen Magnum over the past decade plus and I can tell you in that cartridge, even H50BMG will have some pressure variations with temp changes and RL50 does not seem any better or worse.

In the big bores like the 50 BMG and my big wildcats on that case, H50BMG showed much less velocity variation then in the lower expansion ratio wildcats like the 338 Allen Magnum. Its always amazing how different expansion ratio cartridges can dramatically change the burn characteristics of a given powder.

Its a good powder, can not say its AS stable as H50BMG over wide temp changes but its pretty good in the testing I have done.

I used H50BMG A LOT in my 338 Allen Magnum over the past decade plus and I can tell you in that cartridge, even H50BMG will have some pressure variations with temp changes and RL50 does not seem any better or worse.

In the big bores like the 50 BMG and my big wildcats on that case, H50BMG showed much less velocity variation then in the lower expansion ratio wildcats like the 338 Allen Magnum. Its always amazing how different expansion ratio cartridges can dramatically change the burn characteristics of a given powder.

Sounds good. The gun it will be going in will only be shot over maybe tops a 50f degree swing. And it might not even be that. Just snagged the last 2 pounds of 50BMG from a local store today.

In your test have yo also noticed the bigger the cartridge the less variance from one grain of powder to the next is? I fell the bigger cartridges are more stable just from teh shear volume of powder in them. Take my 06 vs my .300 BSM. one gets 65 grains of RL26 and the next gets 120 grains of 50BMG powder. The big one seems to just get a stable load more easy.

Sounds good. The gun it will be going in will only be shot over maybe tops a 50f degree swing. And it might not even be that. Just snagged the last 2 pounds of 50BMG from a local store today.

In your test have yo also noticed the bigger the cartridge the less variance from one grain of powder to the next is? I fell the bigger cartridges are more stable just from teh shear volume of powder in them. Take my 06 vs my .300 BSM. one gets 65 grains of RL26 and the next gets 120 grains of 50BMG powder. The big one seems to just get a stable load more easy.

Believe its just a percentages thing. Variations in powder chargers will make a much more significant difference in the smaller capacity cartridges simply because they make a higher % of variation in the smaller case. I would not say the larger capacity rounds are more STABLE. I would also say that in an 06, RL26 is pretty slow in burn rate. Something like RL19 or H4350 would likely be a better fit in my opinion. That may be the issue. I would think it would be difficult to get into the top 10% working pressures with RL26 in an 06 and that likely may be why your having consistency issues.

Modern smokeless powder, from what i have seen, burns most consistently at near top working pressures. Also burns much more completely, more efficiently and cleanly.

That said, in very low expansion ratio designs, you will see dramatically more effect from temp, environmental conditions and even bore temp. Even different twist rates can show measurable changes in chamber pressures with very low expansion ratio designs which will result in POI shifts at long range.

For example minute changes to these conditions make much more measurable difference in my 7mm Allen Magnum then they do in say a 280 rem.

Again good info Kirby. I agree. Yes the RL26 is to slow. But intill I find a powder with the same fill rate as RL26 but thats faster I am going to keep using it. 65 grains a 215 berger and 28" barrel net right @ 2850. and it shoots good. Seems like no matter the powder charge I throw At the .300BSM it shoots good. Not the case with the 06. It just seems to be more picky. Put it like this, I tested from 120 to 124 grains of US869 with a 230 berger and there was only a 4.5" vertical difference @ 400 yards from the light to heavy charge and that was 5 grains of powder swing. I feel that good. BUT I might be all wet! LOL

Kirby have anymore info on the build that you started the thread with? How about that hammer bullet? anymore testing?

We have not loaded this bullet on the website. It is still a bit prototypical. Definitely specialized as far as oacl. We sent a good number of them to the owner of the rifle that Kirby tested them with. We also sent a batch to another lrh member that had chambered a simular rifle to Kirby's. We have done another in .338 that we load developed in my hunting rifle. 338 lap imp 30" 9" twist. Bullet is 270g class and we loaded it to 3200 fps with good accuracy at 200y. Now need to go launch it across the canyon and see what it shows.

As these sit, seating is a tender process that must be done with care. Loaded cartridges must be treated carefully as well. We may make some changes here if we can do it without sacrificing performance.

Sounds like you are working on expanding the target line up. Thats a good thing! When you say seating is tender process what are you meaning?

I might be a nut. but i think one way to get a precise high BC bullet is lathe turn a bullet to the form and shape needed for the best BC and consistency and transonic crossing. Then mill it out and fill it with lead. That would make the BC and give the ability to keep the bullet more stable. Best of both worlds. But as I said. I might be a nut.

There is not much baring surface contact in the neck. This they are easy to knock out of concentricity.

I can see getting that much weight sideways a little, could take a lot getting point first again. How long are these bullets?