New toys from ALLEN PRECISION....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Well, I have been working on a new toy for a few weeks now, piecing her together when I had time. The rifle has something special about it that is different then all my other rifles, I have been testing several throat designs in an attempt to get more velocity out of a given case capacity and bullet weight.

Shawn Carlock has been doing some similiar testing with similiar results. We are just going about thing a bit differently but both seem to be showing very impressive performance gains.

First off the spec list:

338 Allen Xpress chambering
Surgeon XL repeating receiver
Surgeon DM system
Lilja #8 contour SS, 1-10 twist barrel
8 heavy flutes
APS medium 3 port Painkiller muzzle brake
Manner MCS-T4A stock
APS pillar bedding
Jewell trigger set at 1 1/4 lb
Harris S-9-13" bipod with pod lock
NF 5.5-22x50mm NP-R1 with scope level

Some eye candy

ImportedPhotos00003-4.jpg

ImportedPhotos00002-6.jpg

ImportedPhotos00007-4.jpg

ImportedPhotos00005-5.jpg

So whats so different about this rifle, well you may notice that the barrel looks pretty short in comparision to most of the rifles that come out of my shop. This is by design. I wanted to stick to a more pure tactical design so stayed with a 26" barrel length instead of the more common 28-30" barrels that I generally use.

This is also for another reason. With my new throat design I am hoping that this short 26" barrel will match or slightly exceed the velocity that can be had in a 30" barrel length.

I am not releasing the details of my throat design yet but I can give you a run down of the basics:

- Will produce velocity equal to a 1/2 to 3/4" freebored barrel
- Will produce the consistancy of a short throated chamber that you can seat the bullets right to the lands in and still fit ammo in shorter length magazine boxes like this Surgeon receiver has.
- Will be extremely gentle on thin jacketed bullets such as those from Berger(Yes will be testing this in my 338 AM soon as well)

Basically, you get the benefits of a freebore throats velocity but the consistancy and accuracy of a short tight throat. Test reports will be coming soon, just wanted to let you guys see the new toy.

Imagine the awsome performance of a full 30" barrel but in a super stiff and much more portable 26" barrel length!!!!

On the other end, imagine adding 125-150 fps to a 30" barrel lengths velocity potential, will benefit all around.

Deep down I have dreams of the 338 Allen Magnum getting the 300 gr SMK back to 3500 fps or close to it with good case life like we used to have with the old TTI brass and longer barrels. Time will tell, this first test will tell ALOT.

I am also going to get the entire barreled receiver teflon coated in flat black. Always needed a true tactical rifle but 308s bore me, now with this new hammer, the tactical rifle will be taken to some new power and hopefully accuracy levels.

I will also be testing this rifle past super sonic velocity ranges to see if we can keep that 300 gr SMK stable as it drops out of super sonic velocity. I already know the answer to that but there is one smith on Ohio that seems to think he can keep them consistant out to 3800 yards.........

Anyway, time will tell and I will report all results.

Kirby,

I hope this works like you expect. Do you think it will have the same results in any caliber? Would be nice to not carry the 30" all the time. This could change my thinking on what I will order. Hmmmm

Sounds very cool.

Steve

Kirby:

So you let the cat out of the bag, huh? ;) I hope you get it to shoot like you have planned, and the life is there as well. If so, and the same principles were applied to a certain 7mm AM, what do you think the velocity would be with the longer barrel?light bulb:D

Your a bad man Kirby, here i was just about talking myself out of the tactical 6.5x47 rig i had been talking to ya about a while back and then you post a tac rig you are building, you just aint right buddy, you just aint right!!!:D:D

I have a pure bred 308 tac rig i am wanting to replace with something that will be flatter and cut the wind but still be mag fed and give good bbl life, email me some ideas you think we can do

oh by the way the gun looks awesome!!!!

steve

Come on now Kirby your headline there says toyS. Are you sure you dont have pictures of another 338 express you want to share? :) :)

Hvyw8t,

Alight, here is one you will like to see. This is a Rem 700 based 338 Allen Mag with Lilja 1-10 barrel and HS Sporter stock. Jewell trigger, Wyatts 3.990" center feed mag box and DE 4 port muzzle brake. In spite of the large barrel, its suprisingly light and will be a hell of a long range hammer. Unfortunately we are right in the middle of harvest season right now and as my shooting range is right in the middle of several large crop fields, range testing is on hold for a week or so until everyone gets out of the area and I can start shooting again. Here are some pics of your baby though.

ImportedPhotos00000-8.jpg

ImportedPhotos00003-5.jpg

Here is another one I just finished up with. Nesika Bay Model M Hunter receiver, Lilja 1-9 barrel, APS Painkiller muzzle brake, Jewell trigger, HS Precision DM, Manner MCS-T4 stock.

ImportedPhotos00000-9.jpg

ImportedPhotos00004-3.jpg

Hope that tides you over till she showes up at home!!!

Mtmuley,

I would say its in the 11-12 range. Its a stout barrel but for a barrel of this size, its suprisingly easy to handle. Today got a solid 3100 fps with the 250 gr Accubond with a VERY mild load and recoil was quite comfortable.

The Nesika based rifle spit the 200 gr Accubonds out at 3400 fps this morning as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.