New Allen Precision Raptor XL

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Most of you that know me or know of my products will recognize the name XHS. This stood for Xtreme Heavy Sporter. This was my rifle platform that housed my big Cheytac based wildcats such as my 338 Allen Magnum and 375 Allen Magnums.

Well, recently I decided to give this rifle a bit of a make over and designed a new barrel contour just for it. The new barrel would be based on a similar contour as used on my Raptor LRSS rifles which uses a large diameter shank that is 8" in length, then contours down to roughly a #8 contour out to a 30" finish length.

The idea behind this barrel is that it offers the stiffness and rigidity of a 1.250" straight cylinder barrel but do so with a lighter barrel weight and also in a barrel that shifts the rifles balance back toward the receiver for better balance.

Also making it quite unique looking is the dual flute pattern I use on these barrels. I decided to scale up this Raptor LRSS contour barrel and use it on the new version of my XHS rifles which are now being called the Raptor XL rifles.

DSC_0021.JPG

This is the first customer rifle based on the new Raptor XL platform. This one being a single shot based on the BAT MCT receiver making for a very compact rifle. Barrel length is 32" which is the standard length for all my 338 Allen Magnum rifles but much longer are also available.

DSC_0023.JPG

I tested this rifle with RL50 as Hodgdon H50BMG has been discontinued for the time being. The load I decided to use for the accuracy test load was 145.0 gr RL50 with the 300 gr Berger OTM seated to 4.285" and lit with a Fed-215 primer and in the new Peterson cases formed into the 338 Allen Magnum case specs.

This load averaged 3330 fps out of the 32" pipe. Tested the rifle at 1080 yards and after a few shots to settle the system in, it shot extremely well. Very comfortable to shoot. The new Raptor XL will be roughly 1/4 lbs lighter then the old XHS rifles with same length barrels.

Standard option stocks will be the McMillan A5 supermag stock with adjustable CP just as the one in the pics. Other stock options will be the XLR Evolution chassis stock and Cadex chassis.

Standard receiver options will be Stiller, BAT or Cadex. Right and left hand options as well as single shot and repeaters with detachable magazine systems.

Custom contour barrels will all be made by Bartlein and in lengths of 32, 34 and 36".

All Raptor XL rifles will use either Jewell or Trigger Tech triggers and my large 5 Port Painkiller muzzle brakes to make felt recoil all warm and fuzzy!!!

All in all, very happy with the new Raptor XL and suspect it will pick up where the old XHS left off and take it to even higher results.

Prices will stay the same as the old XHS rifles with same options. Prices can be found on apsrifles.com

Attachments

• DSC_0022.JPG
    DSC_0022.JPG
    744.9 KB · Views: 293
"BAT MCT receiver" - I'm assuming you mean BAT (model) CT, the shortest of their actions with an available CT boltface. Correct?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.