APS Raptor XL rifle review

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Was able to test one of my new Raptor XL rifles. This model will be replacing my old XHS model rifles. Single shots will still use either the BAT CT or Stiller TAC408 receivers, repeaters will use either the Stiller TAC408 of Cadex CDX-40 receivers.

the main unique feature about the Raptor XL rifle model is that it will use a similar custom barrel contour as my Raptor LRSS rifles have used so successfully the past decade plus. They will have a shank diameter of 1.400" and a full diameter shank length of 8 or 10" depending on specific rifle. From that point, they will taper down to a muzzle diameter of roughly 0.950" at 32" or 34" standard lengths. Custom lengths will be offered from 30" to 36" on the Raptor XL.
BE814DEE-DE1D-4EE7-BBBA-41C565DD755E.jpeg

63784C54-7E3C-4EB0-A012-D19FAF6A169A.jpeg

you can see in these two pictures the unique barrel controur, along with the also unique dual flute pattern that is shared with its smaller Raptor LRSS sibling.

the design purpose of this barrel contour is that 75% of the stress imposed onto a barrel and thus rifle system is generated in the first 5-10' of barrel which is the area where the bullet accelerates most aggressively and as such produces the most torque load onto the barrel. Once the bullet has reached +2500 fps, the torque load imposed to the barrel drops off DRAMATICALLY. As such, the longer shank of these barrels offers plenty of support and stiffness and rigidity to totally control these stresses. And then when the bullet is moving easier down the bore at the end of the barrel, there is less need for alot of barrel mass.

a secondary benefit of this contour is it moves the center of balance much farther back toward the receiver so the rifle is just more solid in the bags or on bipod.

As is standard, the stocks will be mcmillan A5 or Supermag A5 stocks with the XLR and Cadex chassis stocks optional as well. Jewell triggers throughout and of course my large Painkiller Muzzle brake to make them warm and fuzzy to shoot.

this specific rifle us unique in that it has a relatively short 30" barrel. Being chambered in my 375 Allen Magnum, i was a bit concerned about drop in performance but the bartlein did very well. First test load drove the 350 gr. SMK to legit 3300 fps levels. However, in accuracy testing at 1000 yards, that load produced around 1 moa of vertical variation in group size with only around 1/4 moa horizontal. Testing the extreme velocity spreads showed this was the issue. As it did not meet my standards for shipping, i developed a new load using the 375 gr. Cutting Edge lazer projo. This load produced just shy of 3300 fps.

31ADE1A9-1681-4772-99D9-B3BA08AFCFDC.jpeg

here is a pic of two of these 375 Allen Mag test loads flanking a "small" 338 lapua case.....

will be on the range asap doing the 1000 yard accuracy test. So far happy with the results of the Raptor XL rifle model.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.