APS Raptor Hunter Rifle

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
I have been getting alot of demand for a Raptor rifle with an even lighter finish weight then my Raptor Stalker.

The Raptor Stalker will have a bare rifle weight in the 10-11 lb range depending on parts used. Some options will increase the weight a bit over this but as its designed it will finish out in this weight range.

The Raptor Hunter concept it to bring bare rifle weight down to the 7-8 lb range. This by the way is exactly what a synthetic Rem 700 BDL comes in at. But, the Raptor Hunter offers the following features:

-APS Raptor Hunter receiver with 0.300" thick heat treated recoil lug
-Lightened 20 moa FL SS rail base
-Rail base pinned to receiver
-Lilja or Hart 26" SS, #4 contour barrel with 1/4" flutes
-Small Painkiller muzzle brake
-McMillan BDL sporter stock, gel coat (8 lb) or Carbon fiber (7 1/4 lb)
-1" decelerator recoil pad
-APS pillar bedding
-Jewell trigger with top safety
-Several floorplate and magazine box options available

Here are some pics of the first prototype out. The stock on this rifle uses the HTG stock but with light fill material. This rifle weighs exactly 8.0 lbs bare rifle weight and would be the heaviest Raptor Hunter with the Gel Coat marble finish and HS Detachable magazine box system.

P8190090.jpg

P8190091.jpg

P8190088.jpg

P8190089.jpg

I did the first range test with this rifle yesterday which is chambered in my 300 Allen Xpress. Loaded with a full charge of Reumbo under the 200 gr Accubond produced 3330 fps with very comfortable pressure. Figuring that a solid 100-125 fps more then the best 300 RUM loads with same bullet and same barrel length.

At 1052 yards which was the test range, this rifle shot two, three shot groups that were both well under 1 moa. In fact one was under 3/4 moa and the other just barely over 3/4 moa in size.

Now this rifle platform is designed for use out to around 800 yards, possibly 1/2 mile and under. Its first range accuracy test proved its FULLY up to this range easily and in good conditions, and depending on the chambering option, probably a bit more. Every shot fired during the shooting session would have EASILY landed well inside the vital zone of any whitetail in the country, even at 1052 yards.

The Raptor receiver used in the Hunter is the same as used in the Stalker which has a much larger ejection port window which does a couple things. First it drops total receiver weight. It also allows the possibility to top feed an internal magazine box which are lighter then pretty much all DM systems.

Also the rail base is machined to match the larger ejection port which also reduces total weight.

A Raptor Hunter that chambered in say a 300 RUM or 338 Edge could easily be made with a wyatts 3.820" internal magazine box, alloy BDL floorplate, McMillan BDL EDGE carbon fiber shelled stock with light fill material and it would easily trim the rifle down to an even 7 lbs or even slightly less. That is still using the full length 26" fluted #4 contour SS barrel so you do not have to give up barrel length, or barrel rigidity with an ultralightweight barrel contour that just tend to get whippy with the larger chamberings.

The Raptor Hunter will be available in the following chamberings:

-Most belted magnums
-All RUMS
-338 Lapua
-7mm Allen Magnum
-300 Allen Xpress
-338 Allen Xpress

Rifle price is similiar to the Raptor Stalker depending on options.

So, now, the Raptor has come full circle with its big game hunting rifle family with the 14-15 lb Raptor LRSS, 10-11 lb Raptor Stalker and now the 7-8 lb Raptor Hunter.

It seems that anytime you year about a lightweight packing rifle these days your limited by barrel length and chambering performance. Now, there is nothing wrong with many of the popular ultralight chamberings such as the 280 AI or the WSMs but there does not seem to be many out there wanting to offer real horse power in a lighterweight rifle.

For my Raptor Hunter, standard chamberings would be the RUMs and my Lapua based Allen Magnums and Allen Xpress wildcats. Pretty much the top of the performance family in each caliber, especially with a barrel no longer then 26" in length. The goal is to get guys a rifle that weighs the same as a synthetic Rem 700 BDL but with the advantages of the Raptor receiver which are DRAMATIC compared to conventional receivers, especially those used in lightweight hunting rifles.

Now, you could replace the Raptor receiver with many of the lighter receivers and get weight down even more, thats how we get the Ultralight rifle designs but I wanted to offer a rifle to hunters that when they had a shot of a lifetime at 800 yards, they would not have a second thought about setting up for a shot, thats the goal of the Raptor Hunter, packable HorsePower with plenty of accuracy to get the job done.

I think I'm in love...your test rifle in 300 Allen Express is in my eyes absolutely perfect....Now all I got to do is figure out how to convince my wife I should be able to take out a loan for a new rifle....Kirby, that rifle is a thing of beauty

Kirby, that thing should be called the rocky mountain raptor! That's what us guys that walk 10 miles in the steep and deep need. I'm a little suprised that your goal is a 1/2 mile. My 338rum naked weighs 8lbs, and I'm here to tell you, she is smokin accurate out to 1300yds [which is my personnal comfort zone] if I do my part. We all know that lighter rifles are harder to shoot accurate at distance, but with practice is very doable. Your raptor hunter will appeal to alot of guys in my neck of the woods. Nice build!

That's a rifle I might buy... Offered lefty???

My current 30 rum is 9# with a 6-18x nikon on top without a brake and I'll go prone without thinking. A braked 8#er would be cake. I'll even shoot prone with my 8# 375 with 300 grain without a brake. Will you go no brake for those of us that like the recoil??

Last edited:
Kirby, that thing should be called the rocky mountain raptor! That's what us guys that walk 10 miles in the steep and deep need. I'm a little suprised that your goal is a 1/2 mile. My 338rum naked weighs 8lbs, and I'm here to tell you, she is smokin accurate out to 1300yds [which is my personnal comfort zone] if I do my part. We all know that lighter rifles are harder to shoot accurate at distance, but with practice is very doable. Your raptor hunter will appeal to alot of guys in my neck of the woods. Nice build!

In my opinion, in most rough terrain, shooting from less then ideal shooting positions, an 8 lb rifle is hard to get consistant accuracy with at +1000 yards. Never said it is not possible but there are alot more stories about +1000 yard 8 lb rifles then actual rifles that will perform at +1000 thats that weigh 8 lbs.

Plus, I dropped two 3/4 moa groups out of this rifle at 1052 yards. Thats sub 8" groups at 1052 yards. OR should I say minute of rockchuck at that range. I certainly thinks its more then up to the challange of longer range. Simple fact is, very few shooters are proficent enough to take an 8 lb bare rifle weight rifle and be efficent at ranges much past 1/2 mile in field shooting positions and conditions. I include myself in that statement.

My lightweight 7mm AM is 7 3/4 lbs bare rifle weight and it has taken 29 head of big game at ranges past 400 yards. well over a dozen have been taken at past 600 yards and there have been 4 taken at ranges past 1/2 mile with this rifle. Still, I have passed on many more shots then I have taken at these ranges and am proud to say no aminal has ever walked away from this rifle when I decided to engage a big game animal with it and very few have needed more then one shot. Still, Its rare that I will take a +1/2 mile shot. Farthest with my 7mm AM is 938 yards.

There are some gifted shooters out there for sure, they are not the norm however and you have to be truely special to pilot an 8 lb rifle consistantly at 1300 yards.

That's a rifle I might buy... Offered lefty???

My current 30 rum is 9# with a 6-18x nikon on top without a brake and I'll go prone without thinking. A braked 8#er would be cake. I'll even shoot prone with my 8# 375 with 300 grain without a brake. Will you go no brake for those of us that like the recoil??

Certainly left hand is an option, no problem at all.

If you want to deal with the recoil, thats your choice to go naked muzzle.

Great New rifle Kirby, Keep up the great designs and rifles!!! I lived in Great Falls for quite a while and all over MT over the years. Im here in N Idaho now and have seen Shawns rifles also. So Im gonna have to save up and get 2 now! I get back to Lewistown / Grass Range Country most years to shoot P. dogs at fairly long range like we did when I lived there. Having a great custom like these would be good for all game and ultra long range P Dogs . gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.