New barrel

jbo829

hello all I have a 1969 Weatherby varmintmaster 22-250 due to the salt wood stock there are afew places where the barre has started to rust and is pitting so I have decided to rebarrel and changing out stock
What caliber should I rebarrel to 6.5x284
260 rem
6.5x55
6.5x47 Lapua
This new gun will be a varmint/deer gun

I don't know but I was planning on running 130gr class bullets
Take a dummy round, and load it stupid long.
Then keep shoving it down until it fits in the mag with a few thou clearance so it won't jam if it gets a hair dirty. Then measure overall length. Now compare that to the chamber drawings of the ctgs you are considering to see if they will fit and how far away from the rifling you might be with a round loaded to mag length. (It MAY be a std 2.8" mag, but Weatherby does things their own way. So check it and be certain.)

I would go 6.5-284
You should be fine with your action but as BR30 says above, measure you mag box,
your 6 lug action should be a LA, I just measured my Weatherby 6 lug mag box and its 3.4"

Last edited:
A 6.5x284 sucks in a short action for a repeater especially a 2.8. You'll have a bunch of the bearing surface in the neck.
A 3.0 is better but a long action or med works alot better.

I'd go with the .260 Rem. One of my favorites.

The 260 Remington would be a good choice of the ones listed because It is a very good and capable 6.5 cartridge that is straight forward to load for and takes the standard .470 bolt face like your 22/250 and will work well in any short action with out any major changes.

Changing the stock is a must because I have had one and i chased the problem many times before i finally replaced it.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks JE i wanted the 6.5x284 but after a lot of consideration I'm going with the 260 for the reason about about working better on a short action and plus I shoot a 280 so why not give it a little brother

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.