New barrel

1blacktail

I'm looking for a new barrel to put on my fathers old parker and hale 7mm it's on a x10 interarms action thinking of going with the Douglas barrel am keeping it light 4contour any suggestions on we're to begin

I'm looking for a new barrel to put on my fathers old parker and hale 7mm it's on a x10 interarms action thinking of going with the Douglas barrel am keeping it light 4contour any suggestions on we're to begin
A good gunsmith or even Douglas should have no problem fitting a new barrel to your rifle. Parker Hale and Mark X Mausers are commercial versions of the 98 Mauser so barrels and options are plentiful. I've fit a number of barrels to Mauser 98 type rifles and they are among the easiest to rebarrel. Hope the #4 contour fits the inletting in your stock closely. You'll probably have some work on the inletting not only for appearance sake but also to get it to group decently. I usually glass bed the tang and front receiver ring area going forward to include about 2" of the barrel chamber area then try to neatly float the rest of the barrel out to the end of the forend.

Last edited:
I am reluctant to ever suggest have the barrel maker install a barrel. For them it's a production effort. All about how many they can jam on in a day. Much like a factory setting. It takes time to get the best thread fit possible and to dial in on the path of the bore rather than get close. This is based on actually being there and seeing them do it or finding it out later when there is a problem. I am just far more comfortable using a trusted smith to inspect any barrel and then put it on with pride.

The place to start is to find a trusted smith.

You might look at IT&D custom guns. They use Douglas barrels and seem to have a good reputation among those who've used them. They barrel a lot of the various mauser actions.

Home

I am reluctant to ever suggest have the barrel maker install a barrel. For them it's a production effort. All about how many they can jam on in a day. Much like a factory setting. It takes time to get the best thread fit possible and to dial in on the path of the bore rather than get close. This is based on actually being there and seeing them do it or finding it out later when there is a problem. I am just far more comfortable using a trusted smith to inspect any barrel and then put it on with pride.

The place to start is to find a trusted smith.

+1

Something to think about. First The barrel, few if any shop's that chamber and thread barrels to sell
(That don't do the complete job) use premium barrels. And if your rifle doesn't perform well, you have no recourse to get it fixed because everyone blames the other.

This doesn't mean that they cant do a good job, it's just the odds are not as good.

Most of the poor performing rifles I see fall in to these categories , Poor barrel quality, poor chambering, work charged but not done, and mainly just poor workmanship in general.

Do as Hired Gun recommended. Find a trusted and known gun smith and work with him to get what you want and expect for your money. He has a vested interested in the quality of your project and can/will be held responsible for the quality.

One other thing, even some of the better barrel makers often do poor work when they chamber and thread there barrels.

Most good Gunsmiths don't need to drum up business, but they do end up fixing pre chambered barrels quite often.

J E CUSTOM

All true. Most threaded and pre-chambered barrels are made to fit every action of that rifletype/ model so guess what, the threads may fit loosely on your rifle. Further, a custom barrel fitter will ensure that the locking lugs are bearing properly and true the bolt face and receiver face. It costs a few extra bucks but you have a better chance of having a good shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.