New barrel cleaning

When a barrel is chambered, threaded and crowned There are cutting oils and machining chips left in the barrel. that MUST be removed to prevent damaging the bore or the chamber.

After I do this work on a barrel, First I push a patch using a one size smaller jag through the bore to remove the bulk of these products of machining. then I push a dry patch through it to check for more of these products.

Then with the barrel muzzle pointed slightly downward I swab the chamber and make sure it is clean before it is assembled and torqued in the action. To prevent any assembly lube from getting in the chamber it is cleaned one more time after assembly.

The last step before firing the rifle, I do a solvent cleaning to remove any residuals
and dry patch until the patch comes clean.

I do this to prevent any foreign substances from damaging the bore the first time I fire it. You cannot be to careful and should make sure there is nothing that could scratch the bore left inside.

I also do a break in and monitor the barrel condition as I go for best condition before starting load development. Many people don't go to this much trouble, But To damage an expensive barrel because of carelessness Just doesn't make sense to me.

J E CUSTOM
After building a custom rifle, I leave all the chips and cutting oil in the chamber. I carefully place it in the gun vise and torque it down letting the chips and oil squish out everywhere. I then throw it in the back of my old truck and take it to the range where I shoot 10 rounds to blow everything out. It then goes in a trash bag and dropped off on the customers door :)

sorry, couldn't help myself

After building a custom rifle, I leave all the chips and cutting oil in the chamber. I carefully place it in the gun vise and torque it down letting the chips and oil squish out everywhere. I then throw it in the back of my old truck and take it to the range where I shoot 10 rounds to blow everything out. It then goes in a trash bag and dropped off on the customers door :)

sorry, couldn't help myself

I know, the devil made you do it:D:D

But you would be surprised how many people don't clean a new barrel before shooting it or just run a patch through it to assure that there is no obstruction in it. I once saw a rifle blow up that was brand new because it had cosmoline rust preventative in it and a plug of it in the bore that cause the barrel to split just behind the where the plug was.

Many factory rifles come with a preservative and this should be removed.

J E CUSTOM

Good stuff, never thought about shavings. You'd think the manufacturer would flush the barrel before sending it out to the stores .

It's not just the shavings that are harmful, any oil in the chamber will cause higher bolt loading (Thrust) and 'could do damage' to the lugs and abutments. The cartridge needs a clean dry chamber so it can grip the case during firing to prevent this from happening.

J E CUSTOM

I've seen slightly bulged barrels. At first, I thought they might have been caused by an obstruction like a patch or something similar. Now, I believe it was caused by a liquid in the barrel. It didn't complete obstruct the barrel, but my theory is that the bullet pushed the liquid until the bullet outran it and then as it passed the fluid, since liquids are not compressible, something had to give and that was the barrel. It swaged the barrel with hydraulic pressure causing the minor bulge. Now I always clean new rifle barrels before I shoot them and I run a tight patch through a used gun before I buy it to insure there are no bulges because they are extremely hard to see.

I clean the snot out of every new rifle and then do a barrel break in (don't know if it helps, but it sure doesn't hurt anything). After that, everything is on me.
When I build a rifle, I clean it more than it will ever be cleaned after. Brake clean the barreled action inside and out before and after assembly. Of course the chamber, threads and bore are pristine before torquing onto action. There should only be bare steel when it's put into the stock and shot. Pretty crazy the time that goes into just cleaning while chambering rifles!

Custom barrels are always a piece of cake to clean and don't seem to take much but CZ uses some of the gooiest, thickest, stickiest sh1t I've ever seen to coat their barrels before they ship them out. It's like a mixture of syrup, glue, and some old *** 140wt gear oil all mixed together. Everyone of the 4-5 CZ 527's I've bought had that crap in the barrels. I always clean everything right out of the box and the first few patches out of any CZ I've ever had looked like you just dipped them in tar.

I think brake cleaner is probably the best way to clean that crud out of a new CZ barrel.

I like to use a couple of wet patches of Hoppes #9, then a couple dry, check them to see how clean then run 2 wet patches of wipeout patchout let sit for 20 minutes or so run another wet of wipeout patch out, it will tell you if its clean or not by the color of the patch. Quit using all the so called copper killers like sweets and Barnes CR10 after I was introduced to Wipeout Patchout!

I know there are better components for cleaning my rifles but I have a good Tipton, carbon fiber rod that I use, Tipton bronze brushes and the proper sized jag, with a good copper solvent. And....the last step is the coating of RIG to keep the rust and moisture out.

I know there are better components for cleaning my rifles but I have a good Tipton, carbon fiber rod that I use, Tipton bronze brushes and the proper sized jag, with a good copper solvent. And....the last step is the coating of RIG to keep the rust and moisture out.
Bronze brush with copper solvent??

I use wipeout and nylon brushes when I'm not in a hurry. I let the wipeout do most of the work by letting it sit in the barrel, often overnight. It seems the nylon brushes marginally speed up the process. I will use bronze brushes with wipeout when doing barrel break in and it seems to remove copper faster. However, I follow the bronze brush with jag/ patches to eliminate false positives (blue) from the bronze brush.

I use bore tech. Copper remover and carbon remover.
Which do you use first , I do copper first.
I do carbon first if you look at it this way the bullet is the first thing down the barrel laying down the copper the gases and powder residue come next laying down the carbon therefor copper would be on the bottom my reasoning for cleaning carbon first

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.