***New*** Barnes 6.5mm 120 gr TTSX

Alan Griffith

Read over on accuratereloading.com yesterday that Barnes had out the new 6.5mm 120 gr TTSX. Since I literally drive past their building to and from work, I stopped in & picked up two boxes.

Here it, left to right, 120 tsx bt, 120 ttsx bt, 130 tsx flat base. Dave, tech, has yet to test for bc but feels it should run just over .400.

65mmBarnes2.jpg

65mmBarnes.jpg

Yesterday, the weather cooperated and I was able to get out and run a load of 45.5 gr of H4350, Nosler cases and Fed 210M primers. The same load gives .75" groups and zero pressure. It gave a .95" 3-shot group with the TTSX but a bit of pressure. Same velocity; 3019 fps. I'll need to back it down .5 grain with the TTSX.

Alan

Yesterday, the weather cooperated and I was able to get out and run a load of 45.5 gr of H4350, Nosler cases and Fed 210M primers. The same load gives .75" groups and zero pressure. It gave a .95" 3-shot group with the TTSX but a bit of pressure. Same velocity; 3019 fps. I'll need to back it down .5 grain with the TTSX.

Alan

"zero pressure"? How'd you get those projectiles down the barrel, then? Did you mean "zero pressure signs"?

What bullets were you using previously? The ones with "zero pressure" I mean.

And what is "a bit of pressure"? Stiff bolt lift, extractor marks, cratering of the primer, loose primer pockets, etc?

Thanks!

Bill

Previous bullet was the 120 tsx. It does not show any high pressure signs such as hard bolt lift, ejector marks, loose primer pockets. The TTSX load did exibit hard bolt lift and ejector marks and later today when I repriming the cases, loose reprimng.

I ended up with 43.5 gr H4350 in Nosler cases, Fed 210m primers, Redding FL die just pushing back the shoulder .003", neck finished with the Lee Collet neck die and seated to 2.820" with a Redding BR micrometer die.

Here is results next to the 120 tsx and 130 tsx, both like H4350.

120tsxttsxH4350.jpg
[/IMG]

130tsxH4350group.jpg
[/IMG]

In my old Rem 600 in 6.5.

120 TSX
54.0 of IMR 4350
Rem 9.5M primer
RP brass

Sure is a good caribou thumper.
Performance on par with 270 Win with 130 TSX.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts