308 110 gr. Barnes TTSX

dixiejagds

Bought some of these a couple of weeks ago and used info out of the Barnes manual to load some. I used their accuracy load and the model 700 loved them, .33" group. The Gunsite Scout didn't shoot them as well, but it was more than acceptable, .75" group. The Scout only has a 2.5X8 scope on it so that may be some of the difference. Anyway, working in wildlife control I couldn't wait to field test some. Last night working on a deer collection I bolted one of the blue tipped beauties in and to try it. I had an adult deer(170lbs) very large for down here, somewhere between quartering to me and facing me. It was about 150 yards. I put the crosshairs on the point of the shoulder facing me and let her fly. Dropped like it was supposed to. While collecting data on the collection I skinned this deer to see what the terminal damage was. DEVESTATING, to say the least. The shoulder was disintegrated to the point when I pulled the hide back bone chips were falling out on the ground. the bullet passed on through the vitals, liver, intestines and was lodged in the far hindquarter.
The second thing I tried the bullet on was a large boar hog, but he was running and my shot caught him behind the shoulder. Through and through but jellied his lungs and heart.
I have shot hundreds of deer with 110 gr Hornaday TAPS, but to be on the safe side you need to limit those shots to head and neck. I am not afraid to shoulder punch a large whitetail with the 110 gr. Barnes, though.

I realize this is kinda old, but...

Are you shooting them out of a a .308 Win?

The barnes data has some very impressive looking loads for these.

TAC 57.0gr 3511 fps (max load)
AAC-2230 54.5gr 3586 fps (max load)

Tempted to try them on pigs out of my 16" .308.

Yes I am shooting them out of a few 308's specifically two model 700's and a howa 1500. Shoots wonderfully out of those. Have issues though with them in suppressed ar-10's. Not sure what the deal is. Also think the 57.0 load with TAC is just a little hot. Some of our guns have had issues with this load. Works wonders on deer and hogs. In doing deer control work I shot about 50 deer and maybe 20 hogs this winter with the 57.0 grs of TAC. Performance was nothing but impressive.

What kind of issues in the suppressed AR-10? That is actually what I will be using. Mine has a 16" barrel & mid-gas. I do have an adjustable gas block on it though.

I loaded some up with 52.5gr of AA-2230 to try. Even that load **** near fills the entire case up to the rim. Havent tried them yet though.

The 57.0 grs of TAC fills the case, plumb scary looking......
Case swelling to the point of not ejecting. Would pull the rim off the case when trying to eject. Had to puch casings out via cleaning rod. I will say though we did not shoot the gun without a suppressor, not sure if that would have made a difference.

The 57.0 grs of TAC fills the case, plumb scary looking......
Case swelling to the point of not ejecting. Would pull the rim off the case when trying to eject. Had to puch casings out via cleaning rod. I will say though we did not shoot the gun without a suppressor, not sure if that would have made a difference.

Yeah that sounds like an over-gassed issue. It's trying to extract the case while it is still under pressure. Try an adj gas block so you can turn the gas down if you want to try to get it to work.

Here is a good read on the subject:
Superformance in Gas Operated Firearms - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.