165 gr Barnes TTSX For Elk

DUKFVR

I have a 300 WSM Kevin built me on here. It is DEADLY accurate with the Barnes 165 gr factory loadings. It that bullet good enough for bull elk out to 400 yards? I would think it would be fine ,but want to get some opinions rom some of you that have killed more elk.

I have the opposite opinion of them as LTLR, I've never shot elk with a bullet that deflected more than that weight range Barnes in 30 cal. That weight range bullet is what caused me to find another bullet for elk hunting!!!

The numbers are there:
Wt./avg speed/expansion, etc.
I very much respect both Bigngreen's, & LTLR's opinions, so for me it'd be a crap shoot. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
I haven't used Barnes bullets yet, but Ive considered them, but I'm hopelessly stuck on Accubonds with no intention on changing.

With Barnes bullets you can shoot a lighter bullet than lead core bullets and they will not deflect because they retain virtually all of their weight. Lead core bullets may deflect because they have shed their weight losing mass and directional momentum. The 165 barnes will shoot clear through an elk out of a 300 wsm at virtually any shot angle with minimal deflection. The swift scirroco is a lead core bullet that retains it's weight and performs more like the barnes.

I shot a 185 barnes ttsx out of a 338 winchester nearly lengthwise through an alaskan grizzly at over 200 yards a couple years ago proving this point. It exited crushing the offside shoulder and dropping the grizzly dead right there. A 185 lead core and no way I take that shot or would get that grizzly if I had.

I've had two 168 Barnes fail and was present at the failure of a 165 Barnes from 300 WBY and 30-06, failure was deflection on heavy elk shoulder bone and they did not penetrate the rib cage. All elk were recovered and it's no guess as to failure!!
The Barnes and Ballistic tip are the two bullets I hate to see guys show up with to kill elk, I drank the light, fast, hard bullet coolaid but got tired of elk flopping around or running away with a leg doing the helicopter. Went to softer bullets and I have not had a deflection since even when trying to make it happen nothing but dead elk!!!

What I think is happening is the bullets frontal area vs mass is just not enough, but a lead core bullet will shear of some of it's frontal area which removes bone from the path and gets the frontal area down, and allows it to keep driving into the vitals. If you shoot at a gong at 500 yards you'll hear the Barnes deflecting into space and a lead core bullet you'll find little copper disks under the target from the bullet staying on path until it expends all it's momentum. I also can stabilize much heavier bullets with a lead core so I gain momentum over the lighter copper bullet, which I feel is more important than hitting them with ultra fast bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.