factory loaded barnes 165 ttsx for 300 rum

Xpress-Kill

Just recently bought a sendero in 300 rum. Don't really have time to load up at home and test this thing. I am going deer hunting in cali in 4 weeks and need to shoot lead free so I decided to go with these... anybody have any input qor advice on these factory loads?

Thank you
- Express kill

I don't know how recently you bought your rifle but I will offer this tidbit:
If your rifle is really new <50rnds, make sure it's very clean to start with & monitor your grouping.

Why? Because factory bores are somewhat rough, some rediculously rough, some quite good (kind of a crap shoot). As the jackets of the Barnes are softer than conventional bullets, there is a possibility of excessive fouling until your barrel is "broken in" (read smoothed out). As far a stating that it needs to be REALLY clean before use, just as noted with the jacket hardness, if conventional bullets have been fired, then Barnes have been fired, there is an almost guaranteed example of extreme fouling (I sometime wonder is this isn't why Barnes gets a bad wrap for fouling) Other than those two cardinal rules, enjoy your hunt, you have all the bullet you're going to need.

Yes it is new... 20 rounds new..... didn't pay to much attention to breaking it in.for what ever reason I guess I never thought of breaking in a rifle to be that significant. When I did shoot it I was not that impressed bit it was also the first twenty round that have been pushed through it.knowong that I willclean clean my bore after every round for this next box. Hopefully it's not to late. Thank you sir. Appreciate it

It's not too late, you didn't/can't hurt anything; it just has the possibility to foul quicker with the soft jacket of the Barnes & the rougher bore of a new factory rifle. You will hear a lot of phuey about barrel break-in, to a certain extent is does occur whether you shoot one- clean one or just shoot 10 & clean, the "rough stuff" is going to be gone either way, the first shot does most of that, it's just smoothing if you will, after that. If this particular combo doesn't work for you, take a hard look at the Barnes Vor-TX line of ammo, it's their own line of ammo, & from what I've heard, very accurate.

That is what Iam shooting is the barnes vortx with the 165 grain ttsx. Gonna go shoot today. Just got my viper pst so where gonna go do some testing..... thanks for the advice. Really do appreciate it

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.