barnes ttsx 120 - how far off the lands

red dawg

as a general rule (knowing all gun's vary) how far does barnes bullets set off the lands? I just found about 95 of them in 284 caliber

I follow Barnes recommendation and start .050" off the rifling. I have found good accuracy MUCH farther off then that. I'd try .050" off, 075" off and .100" off.

I have shot them at .250" (yup a 1/4 inch) off in a Weatherby Mark V and had very good results.

reddog I have been starting by rolling mine lightly crimped in the shortest channel for years accuracy has always been good for hunting situations out to 300 with the right powder. I am going to try my 260 rem and the 120 ttsx crimped in the longest I can load to without contacting the lands to see if the change is warranted.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Thanks All I will toy in the next couple weeks, they are actully longer than the red tip noslers I like so well for yotes I may try them at the same length or seating depth and shoot a group like that

Barnes recommends starting .050" off the lands.

Safariman has a good thread on a method that works well for him:

An interesting 'trick' to get Barnes TSX and TTSX's to shoot well early on. | Hunting Rifles | 24hourcampfire

within the thread: I loaded some 120gr TTSX's for my Brother in Law's 7mm RemMag Browning

I've had similar experience to the guy in this link. I've loaded Barnes TSX bullets in my 30-06, 358 Win, and 35 Whelen, and in each case, the bullets like a big jump. In my 30-06 I played with seating depth from the lands, and had a good load that was sub MOA. I have since sold that rifle and am building another 30-06, so I forget exactly how far from the lands they were, but it was at least .05"

However, if you look at factory rounds with Barnes bullets, they are almost always seated such that the forward most ring is at the case mouth. That's where I started with my 358 cal rifles, and I've seen no reason to play with seating depth since. My short little 358 Win with an 18" barrel can shoot a <.5 MOA loaded like that.

Several years back, I too just began to "start" at .100" off the lands. I had such good results that I settled on that. Too be fair, while I have used many aftermarket barrels, from very expensive to Midway's "Adams & Bennet" barrels, I've never had one set up with "Benchrest" chamber/neck dimensions...mine have been hunting rifles, no competition. I discovered years ago that I could use a lot of BR handloading techniques, and get great results with my loads, but I never went so far as really Long Range shooters do. I "did" shoot well to 700yds with my old 7mm RUM and the 140TTSX, but only off a truck bed/buddy bag for drop dope. I have never killed game further than 375 yds. I do like to know where I hit further out in case I have to deal with a wounded critter. I really just liked the way Barnes ( and the old Failsafes) did on game bigger than deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.