New APS Raptor Hunter and THunter rifles

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Been a while since I posted here on LRH. Been a zoo in the shop for the past 18 months as it has been in the entire firearm industry.

I did want to post and let the members here on LRH know about a new model of my Raptor rifle that I have been working on and now is fully ready to offer to the public. I call this rifle my Raptor HUNTER which comes in two models, standard and thumbhole.

Previously, my Raptor Stalker was my lightest weight option for my line of Raptor rifles and the Stalker came in at 10 to 11 lbs bare rifle weight. Not extremely heavy but also not a lightweight rifle either. Kind of a middle of a road warrior which is what it was designed to be. Somewhat portable yet offering legit 1K reach in the hands of a quality marksmen.

The Raptor Hunter uses the same Raptor receiver as the Stalker with its large ejection port window for weight reduction but it uses a custom contour SS barrel that can be ordered from 24 to 27" in finish length depending on chambering selected. The first one I want to post pics of is the standard Raptor Hunter using a McMillan BDL sporter stock made with their carbon fiber shell for lightest weight possible. All Raptor Hunter rifles, like their other Raptor siblings will use Jewell triggers and either HS Precision or Accurate Mag DM systems and fitted with my small Painkiller muzzle brakes for absolute felt recoil control and elimination of all muzzle jump.

The design goal is to offer bare rifle weight in the 8 to 9 lb. range which would put the Raptor Hunter only heavier then many commercial factory sporter rifles.

This specific Raptor Hunter is chambered in the potent 7mm Allen Magnum with a 27" barrel length and tips the scales at 7.7 pounds bare rifle weight. Barely heavier then a standard Rem 700 BDL factory rifle.

DSC00808_zps51a1a407.jpg

DSC00811_zpsa56a19f3.jpg

DSC00810_zps81e68a75.jpg

That while driving the 190 gr Matrix VLD bullet to a legit 3300 fps. Felt recoil is less then a 243 Win in a sporter weight rifle. This rifle platform is designed to be used from zero to 1/2 mile ranges. That is not to say it can not reach past that but making consistent hits at ranges past 1/2 mile will depend much more on the shooter then the rifle!! The rifle was accuracy tested at 800 yards and it easily met all my standards for accuracy and very comfortable to shoot. This rifle could EASILY be packed all day even in pretty serious terrain by a healthy, in shape male hunter with no problem at all, yet any ones wife, girlfriend or even younger shooter could easily shoot this rifle and master it with ease because of the VERY light felt recoil levels.

The second version of the Raptor Hunter is the Raptor THunter, T standing for Thumbhole as this rifle uses the new McMillan thumbhole sporter stock which I really like. Similar to their Lazzeroni TH stock but much more refined and in my opinion, just a much better all around stock as far as appearance and also in feel.

I recently rebarreled and sold my old personal rifle, ol' green!! So I had to replace it and wanted to replace it with one of my Raptor THunter rifles. My old rifle was based on a Rem 700 receiver with HS Precision Pro series sporter stock and HS Precison DM system chambered in 7mm Allen Magnum. The rifle with a 26" #3 SS Lilja had a bare rifle weight of 8.4 lbs.

The Raptor THunter is identical to its standard Raptor Hunter sibling other then the different stock.

Here is my personal rifle, also chambered in 7mm Allen Magnum. I decided I wanted to go with the gel coat finish instead of the carbon fiber as I just prefer that look. The bare rifle weight came in a 8.4 lbs and the Edge carbon fiber shelled stock would have easily dropped that weight to under 8 lbs.

DSC00848_zps5a9e14f3.jpg

I was able to finally get this rifle out this morning while testing a batch of customer rifles to see just what the first Raptor THunter would do. Most would not believe this but I did complete load development and drop chart testing with only 20 rounds down the barrel. I have long commented on my load test procedure so will not go into that in detail here but I will say this rifle came in VERY quickly which is not unusual. I do not look for the VERY tightest grouping load a rifle will produce. I look for a good load with the velocity I want, that has consistent velocity and groups well enough to allow me to put that first shot through the vitals of a big game animal at any range I feel the rifle should be capable of handling. In this rifle, I quickly learned that it is capable of much more then 1/2 mile reach!!! And, surprisingly easy to shoot at those ranges.

DSC00850_zpse1ab3f5c.jpg

I decided to stick with the Berger 180 gr Hybrid Target bullet. Many will wonder why I do not use the Elite Hunter and my reasoning is simple. If I were using this rifle at nothing but ranges outside 500 yards, I would likely use the Elite Hunter but as this is a rifle that will be used for any range, I like the thicker jacket of the Hybrid Target bullet as it stands up to the velocity potential of the 7mm Allen Magnum a bit better. To that end......

I developed loads using RL33 for this rifle. Top working loads produced 3420 fps with the 180 gr berger!!!! Those loads produced slight but noticeable ejector rings on the case head, primer pockets were new condition tight after all testing. Still, this is ALOT of velocity for this bullet, or any conventional cup jacketed bullet that may be needed used at ranges inside 300 yards.

Decided to step the load back a bit to 3340 fps which produced VERY comfortable pressures yet still produced consistent velocity and still had a relatively clean powder burn. Something that can be an issue with RL33 if your pressures are low.

Also has to seat the bergers about 20 thou off the lands to fit in the HS Precision magazine length. Again, this is generally not the best for RL33 as I have found that this powder prefers bullets seated very close to the lands for best extreme velocity spreads. Still, muzzle velocities were consistently under 25 fps for ES, which is plenty tight for a chambering with this level of performance as far as velocity and BC.

DSC00849_zps448d595d.jpg

Today was the first outing I had with the rifle. Using my reverse engineering process to test the drop chart, I set the rifle up at a given range, in this case 750 yards. The drop chart said that with this load, the 2.5 mil hash on the Leupold TMR reticle would be dead on. So basically I zero the rifle at 750 yards using that 2.5 mil reference line. Took three shots to dial in the rifle and that third shot dusted a 2" diameter target rock.

Let the rifle cool and then I set up on a 375 yard target rock of roughly 3" diameter. Hold at that range is 0.4 mil so I held the .5 hash line on the bottom edge of the target rock and let the big 180 sail. The shot impacted the top edge of the small rock. Perfect.

Let the barrel cool completely again and then found a target rock, again roughly 3-4" diameter at a measured 590 yards. Predicted hold was 1.5 mil. Took that same hold and shot again clipped the top edge of the rock, Perfect!!!

Let the barrel cool and found a target rock at 850 yards. Predicted hold was 3.2 mils so I bracketed the 1/2 moa sized target rock between the 3 mil line and the smaller 3.5 mil line and smacked the top edge of the rock again.

Now, I wanted to see what this rifle would do so I lined up on a 1/3 moa sized rock at a measured 1047 yards. The predicted hold over was 4.8 mil. The Leupold Mk4 with TMR reticle has 1/5 mil lines between the 4th mil line and bottom post which makes this a very precise hold. The shot landed about 2" high about the rock but well within 1/2 moa of my point of aim and I was surprised to see how easy this rifle was to shoot at this range. I took several more shots with the rifle at ranges between 900 and 1100 yards and all easily landed within 1/2 moa of my point of aim and most within 1/4 moa of my point of aim.

Truly do love the feel of the new Raptor THunter. Nothing magical, nothing cutting edge, just a good designed stock, hell for stout receiver and no recoil at all. I tested a customers 25-06 today before I shot my Raptor THunter and the recoil from the THunter was easily 1/2 that of the 25-06......

I have yet to post the details of the Raptor Hunter and THunter on my web page, need to do that but pricing will be the same as the Raptor Stalker but without the option for adjustable Cheek Piece so keep in mind that you will want to keep scopes low as possible. The Leupold Mk4 6.5-20x 50mm FFP TMR was extremely comfortable to shoot with the comb on this THunter.

Very happy with the end results, hope my new rifle gives me the long successful career that my old rifle did. If that is the case, will need much more wall space!!!

Very nice write up Kirby. I backpack hunt almost exclusively, so this new line of rifles is right up my alley.

Any general comments about the pros and cons of the thumbhole stock on the Raptor THunter, from your perspective? Never owned or used a thumbhole stock, but I'm reading that quite a number of shooters prefer that stock design. More comfortable for the trigger hand grip on the stock - I presume? Is is more or less awkward for hand carry over distances with the forearm nestled up into the joint of an elbow (like shotguns are often carried)? How about from the various shooting positions - offhand on down to prone laying down with a good rest? Just wondering about advantages or disadvantages on a carry rifle. Thanks

You will hear some say that the thumbhole stocks are slower to get into action then a conventional sporter stock design. I have never noticed that personally. If you have never used a thumbhole stock it may feel a bit strange for about the first couple shots but after that most fall in love with the design.

Its critical to have a thumbhole design that has a "thumbhole" that is large enough so that the thumb easily slides through it and allow the trigger hand to gain position directly behind the grip of the stock. I have shot some thumbhole stocks that had a very small hole and they were very uncomfortable. This stock from McMillan is perfect for my hand. I have slightly above average size hands, not overly "meaty" and this stock feel excellent.

Some advantages for the thumbhole stock that I have found are:

- Nearly vertical trigger hand position for very comfortable and natural alignment with trigger finger and trigger.

- With this stock design, the trigger hand helps as a secondary recoil absorber so often felt recoil is less with these stocks, not really because its actually less but because the recoil energy is absorbed in the shoulder and shooting hand, wrist and elbow. Simply spread out over more area.

- The thumbhole design also naturally brings the stock and rifle to an instant vertical position. I have found that it helps in limiting rifle cant when shooting from unsupported positions.

- The Thumbhole stocks tend to have a slightly higher comb design then most sporter stock designs. There is also a longer comb length so that in any shooting position, you have ample comb for proper cheek weld.

Disadvantages.......

- Can be a bit heavier then a conventional stock design, not much however.

- On rifles with severe recoil, they can be uncomfortable because again, there is some recoil felt in the trigger hand. Now, I am not one to tolerate recoil so anything with serious recoil has a PK muzzle brake installed so this is not an issue with any of my wildcats.

Again, it takes a bit of time to get used to a thumbhole stock if you have never used one before but it does not take long and I have yet to have anyone say they wanted to go back to a conventional stock after using a good quality thumbhole stock.

There are those that like traditional stock designs. For them, they may not like them from a cosmetic point of view and not give this stock design an honest trial but for those that do, most love the stock design.

For those that do not, there is the Raptor Hunter!!! :D I look to please everyone!!

Very nice write up Kirby. I backpack hunt almost exclusively, so this new line of rifles is right up my alley.

Any general comments about the pros and cons of the thumbhole stock on the Raptor THunter, from your perspective? Never owned or used a thumbhole stock, but I'm reading that quite a number of shooters prefer that stock design. More comfortable for the trigger hand grip on the stock - I presume? Is is more or less awkward for hand carry over distances with the forearm nestled up into the joint of an elbow (like shotguns are often carried)? How about from the various shooting positions - offhand on down to prone laying down with a good rest? Just wondering about advantages or disadvantages on a carry rifle. Thanks

Here's my 2 cents having used a thumbhole since 1966.

First, everything that Kirby said…

The stock can be a bit heavier. Mine is due to it being a Fajen walnut stock.

It's on a 270 Win that I load 140 to 3200. I have noticed no felt recoil on the trigger hand.

For the off hand shot its quite a bit better, for me, than the conventional sporter.

Recoil is "straight" back. Makes spotting shots the normal. Even at times off hand.

There are no down sides for me. It's my preferred stock configuration.

Kirby is spot on with the thumb hole size. I shaped my own thus the pistol grip and thumb hole fit my hand perfectly.

Ooops! A down side just came to mind….It's next to impossible to make a quick left hand shot. The thumbhole configuration is all wrong for that situation.

After 40 years and two barrels my right eye went a bit south. Rather than restocking it I gave it to my son. I borrow it quite often.

FWIW

Roy

Kirby
First gun looks very similar to minegun) I just received it yesterday, everything was perfect, cant wait to try it out

And this raptor hunter will be my backpack gun:):D

Jason

The stock can be a bit heavier. Mine is due to it being a Fajen walnut stock.

Wood thumbhole stocks are MUCH heavier then conventional sporter stocks, that is for sure. A good composite thumbhole will only be marginally heavier then a composite sporter stock. Magic of modern materials!!!

It's on a 270 Win that I load 140 to 3200. I have noticed no felt recoil on the trigger hand.

HOLY COW HOT ROD!!! 3200 with a 140 in a 270 Win, that's moving right out for a 270 Win!! Notice in my reply that I did not say you would FEEL the recoil in your trigger hand but it does absord more recoil so overall, you get the sensation of less felt recoil in the shoulder.

Ooops! A down side just came to mind….It's next to impossible to make a quick left hand shot. The thumbhole configuration is all wrong for that situation.

Yes if you want to be able to use your rifle in AMBI mode, not a good choice!!!

Is the stock on the first rifle something they make special for you? You call it a BDL Sporter but it looks like a Remington Hunter.

Is the stock on the first rifle something they make special for you? You call it a BDL Sporter but it looks like a Remington Hunter.

I will have to double check to make sure, it may be a Rem Hunter. The Rem Hunter and BDL are very similar, especially from the receiver back. Some slight differences in comb height and grip angle but very similar. The Rem Hunter however has a wider forend, the BDL much slimmer in the forend. The BDL will be the standard version for my Raptor Hunter.

Nothing special here, both the BDL and the Thumbhole sporter are offered by McMillan to the public. These two stocks offer exactly what I want in this platform so it makes it pretty easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.