New 300 WSM

Waynzee

Hi fellas, so, I'm going to order a Browning Hells Canyon Speed X bolt in 300wsm and would like some info on bullet selection. I'll be loading my own ammo for deer and black bear hunting, shots will be as close as 50 yards and as far as 6 to maybe 700 yards. I know there is a large selection of bullets for the 30 cal. but I would like to narrow it down to between 165 gr. to 200 gr.. Thanks.

Our 180g Hammer Hunter will handle the close stuff with great integrity and are designed to open easily down to 1800fps. At 3000fps muzzle vel you could easily extend your stated range when you are ready.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Steve

I would think twice about a Browning in 300 WSM. It seems they may have a ejection problem. I shoot a Browning in 7 RM and think the Hells Canyon ones are cool. But read the thread below and research well.

I would seriously consider a Savage Long Range Hunter or a Savage 16 in stainless if I were getting a 300 WSM. I shoot a Savage Model 12 in 300 WSM and have none of the issues mentioned in the thread below. You can also get a Dark Eagle 300 WSM magazine for the Savage that holds 5 rounds. The mags are nice, I have one.

This is the correct thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/turrets-block-brass-ejecting-ever-see-before-172615/

I would think twice about a Browning in 300 WSM. It seems they may have a ejection problem. I shoot a Browning in 7 RM and think the Hells Canyon ones are cool. But read the thread below and research well.

I would seriously consider a Savage Long Range Hunter or a Savage 16 in stainless if I were getting a 300 WSM. I shoot a Savage Model 12 in 300 WSM and have none of the issues mentioned in the thread below. You can also get a Dark Eagle 300 WSM magazine for the Savage that holds 5 rounds. The mags are nice, I have one.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/turrets-block-brass-ejecting-ever-see-before-172615/

W, my hunt pal has this Savage. It is sub 1/2 MOA at 300 with 185 Berger VLD. It has been bedded and shoots hand loads. Good luck

I had the Savage LRH in 300 WSM and it was one of the most accurate out of the box guns that I have ever owned. I could also get very accurate groups at 300 yards as mentioned with the Berger 185s.

467e76d396a06d63e55544f6db1551bf_zpsf1600a50.jpg

Yep, thanks, that's to bad, I really like Browning rifles but what the hell good is something like that if ya need a quick follow up shot. Guess I'll be looking into the Savage Bear Hunter in the 300 wsm that would be my second choice.
Still need some info on bullets, those hammer bullets sound pretty good.

Guess it will depend on what the rifle likes. I shoot the 180 Nosler accubond for the distances and game you mention. I have never shot anything real close with it but I'm certain it would perform well. The 180 Accubond it very accurate for me out to 600~700 yards. For longer distances, the Berger 210 VLD shoots real well in mine.

Yep, thanks, that's to bad, I really like Browning rifles but what the hell good is something like that if ya need a quick follow up shot. Guess I'll be looking into the Savage Bear Hunter in the 300 wsm that would be my second choice.

Look closely at the actual barrel length. Savage says their 111 LRH has 26" ,it's only 24", they count the brake as barrel length.

They say the Bear Hunter has 23" barrel, it may only have a 21" barrel. I do not know why they do that.
The Model16 have 24" barrels, I have two and they're both shooters.

My M16 300wsm likes Berger 168 Classic hybrids with H4350 amd gm215 primers.

Look closely at the actual barrel length. Savage says their 111 LRH has 26" ,it's only 24", they count the brake as barrel length.

They say the Bear Hunter has 23" barrel, it may only have a 21" barrel. I do not know why they do that.
The Model16 have 24" barrels, I have two and they're both shooters.

My M16 300wsm likes Berger 168 Classic hybrids with H4350 amd gm215 primers.

I seen a video with a guy shooting a Sav.Bear Hunter in the 300 wsm out to a 1000 yards. I have to wonder if you would lose a lot of velocity and energy with that shorter barrel.
The model 16, does that come with a muzzle brake?

You'd loose at least 25 to 35 pfs per inch (50 to 75 total for two inch loss) you can calculate drop and energy loss accordingly.

M16 doesn't have a brake.

Does them Berger bullets blow apart inside the animal?

Depends on a LOT of different things,
Bullet weight vs impact velocity
Bone vs soft tissue impact
Ect.

I personally prefer my bullets transfer all of its energy inside the animal, to me this equates to less tracking and more humane ( quick kill).
There has been pass throughs but those were on younger does inside 400 yards.
The consistency and precision accuracy and performance on game is why I hunt with Bergers.

My 300 WSM Stainless composite X-bolt has had the same issue with hitting the windage knob and falling back in the chamber. If the cap is taken off my Vx6 or the knurling is filed down there are no ejection issues.

It is a very accurate rifle for what I have into it. I struggle to shoot my customs much better. 180 accubonds and 200 ELDx shoot great over H4350 and H4831 respectively.

My 300 WSM Stainless composite X-bolt has had the same issue with hitting the windage knob and falling back in the chamber. If the cap is taken off my Vx6 or the knurling is filed down there are no ejection issues.

It is a very accurate rifle for what I have into it. I struggle to shoot my customs much better. 180 accubonds and 200 ELDx shoot great over H4350 and H4831 respectively.

Is this a problem with all the magnum calibers or just the short mags.?
Because I could get a 300 win. mag. long action in the Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.