Need yalls opinion on a new deer/varmit/ Rem. build....

Dust270WSM

I am bringing my wife's grandpa old Rem 700 back to life and im going to do a total overhaul. Action is slightly rusted so I gotta get it striped and probably dura - coat it. What I am wanting yalls help is which caliber would u go with?? Was thinking a 243ackley or something similar. Wanna be able to shoot around 55 grainers at yotes and have the ability to up the bullet weight in the fall for deer.

Going to build it similar to the Savage predator with the barrel contour and length. Not to light but not to heavy.

So which caliber would u go with??

What stock? ?

And what barrel??

Ect..Ect on what yall would do if u have a 700action..

Forget the .243 AI......Go for the .260 AI or a 7mm-08 AI. Much better ballistically for the yotes and deer aspect, since I'm assume those will be the more popular game you will be hunting with it.

Plus, it's alot easier to make brass for those calibers out of old .308 Win brass, than it is to neck it way down to 6mm...

The 7mm-08 AI would be about perfect for you, since it's got the bullet selection of 120-140 grain bullets for yotes (with little recoil), and 168's would be ideal for whitetails. Good mixture of speed & energy.

.260 AI would also be a good one to choose.

Forget the .243 AI......Go for the .260 AI or a 7mm-08 AI. Much better ballistically for the yotes and deer aspect, since I'm assume those will be the more popular game you will be hunting with it.

Plus, it's alot easier to make brass for those calibers out of old .308 Win brass, than it is to neck it way down to 6mm...

The 7mm-08 AI would be about perfect for you, since it's got the bullet selection of 120-140 grain bullets for yotes (with little recoil), and 168's would be ideal for whitetails. Good mixture of speed & energy.

Got to agree on everything!! Good advice!!

Id forget ANY "AI" and go for a straight ".260". It will handle anything and everything he has discussed

Id forget ANY "AI" and go for a straight ".260". It will handle anything and everything he has discussed
Ackley Improving is not that hard to do, and it's really not that time-consuming. Especially if you use the cream of wheat method. I don't, I just use bullets & shoot a reduced load to fire-form brass. But I also have no problem buying a 100 pack of cheap Hornady Interlocks for $25 from my local store, using a 2/3 load of surplus Alliant powders I have laying around, that I don't use for any of my good loads anymore, since they're all temp sensative, and using cheap CCI primers. :D

First things first, I'd have that action cleaned up and trued. Rust in any amount is never a good thing and truing it at this point eliminates potential issues after you get it together.
As for caliber, my choice would be either 6.5 - .284 Norma or .260 Remington. The .260 Remington was originally a wildcat but it's available as factory ammo today so in the event you get a short notice invitation to hunt you don't have to worry about reloading ammo for the trip if you don't happen to have anything on hand.
Although the factory ammo isn't quite as easy to find as the .260, the same justifications would apply to the 6.5 - .284.
Why not the AI? Well, reloading for the AI requires fire forming and other tasks that, IMO, don't justify using it when it's ballistics (again IMO) aren't all that superior to the other two. I prefer to cook my cream of wheat in a sauce pan. :)
Next choice might be the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Just my 2 cents .........

I vote for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Plenty of brass available. Its already "improved" . 3 manufacturers of very good brass and Winchester is making factory ammo also. Soon there will probably be a model 70 Coyote Special and a model 70 Super Grade available. Ruger's Savage's ect.ect. so the round is probably here to stay.
Better barrel life than the 243s 85 and 90/95 gr bullets for no recoil zapping 140 gr high bc bullets will really do it all to Long/extreme long range. Plenty of bullet for rifles that like one but don't like another. Brass doesn't stretch much and you don't need high dollar dies to make it shoot well.

Put it in Gods hands, let God give us the resources to help those that want an need help, take two aspirin, an call me in the morning!! :)
I know, but I'm joking man....I don't let the internet **** me off. Occasionally it does, but then I just walk away, chill, and then regain my composure and start fresh.

The only time I really get mad on the internet, is with stupidity. And then it's obvious that I'm tweaked by my comments that usually follow. Or pure ignorance. That's another big one that gets under my skin.

I mean, I know I've been guilty of opening my mouth when I shouldn't have, or saying or asking something stupid and making myself look dumb...But for the most part I try to have lucid, well thought out, and intelligent conversations on here. It gives the reader a little more basis when looking into my bias. And we are all guilty of bias...It's human nature.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.