Opinions on contour for new build (280 Rem)

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by wamike, Apr 23, 2012.

1. wamike

wamike Member

Hey everybody,

Recently acquired a trued 700 long action. Wanting to build a 280 Rem or 280AI. Barrel length of 24". Want this to be a light/medium-weight backpacker and am curious as to what contour most folks would go with for a good, balanced build. #3 or 4 sporter? Heavier, like a Sendero, with flutes?

Thanks.

2. jpeaston

jpeaston Well-Known Member

I went 5.5 fluted Krieger at 25.5 in and AI'd it for my light carry, but I had a Ti action.

3. Aldon

Aldon Well-Known Member

I had bad luck with flutes.

Depends on whether your getting from maker fluted or having it added.

I like the sporter weight barrels for a carry rifle.

Sendero's and varmint weight for extreme long range and targets. Just another opinion...with inflation and tarp my $.02 I end up owing you:)

4. wamike

wamike Member

I'll look for the check in the mail. :)

If I do go with fluted it would come from the maker (looking at Pac Nor right now)

5. MOOSE39465

MOOSE39465 Well-Known Member

bugholes.com check out the Brux barrels. I bought a barrel from them and they are good to deal with.

Brux 7mm 9 twist SS #5 27" fluted for 24" finish $435.00

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  6. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

Pac-nor is good to go. I have a one of their SS 28" 7mm Rem fluted #6 and it is fine for packing. I think a Pac Nor #5 with or without flutes would be a fantastic compromise. Not too light, not too heavy.