need suggestions for .338 bullets

revturbo9967

i feel ive exhausted my attempts to make the 300gr accubonds run in my lapua. i just cant get them to group well even out to 300 yards. ive tried 2 different powders and a ton of different combos for seat depth/powder charge. grouping is erratic, anywhere from 1.5-2.5 moa. i feel like either my rifle is a pile , or i need to try a different bullet. i have a 9.3 twist barrel so id like to run a heavier bullet.

what are your suggestions ? this cartridge will be primarily for elk

thanks

I shoot an Edge and 338/26-Nosler and only one elk with it.

So limited experience

I don't think you need a 300, if it were me I'd switch to a Berger hunting hybrid in 250 or 300 if you prefer.

I prefer solids. Barnes LRX or CEB Lazer would really be my choice. I used a TTSX185 on my last cow elk. DRT. I have that load for this year but will be working up CEBs before the hunt.

whats the difference between the berger hunting hybrid and the otm hybrid?

I don't have Brian's book with me but jacket thickness and there may be differences in dimensions.

Someone else will need to comment on whether the OTM should be used for hunting.

I don't have Brian's book with me but jacket thickness and there may be differences in dimensions.

Someone else will need to comment on whether the OTM should be used for hunting.

only reason i ask is they are both hard to find .

The OTM's are fine for hunting. Jeff (Broz) has used them extensively with great results and posted about the animals he's taken with them. I'd also look at the Hornady 285gr AMAX. My 338LM loves them.

The OTM's are fine for hunting. Jeff (Broz) has used them extensively with great results and posted about the animals he's taken with them. I'd also look at the Hornady 285gr AMAX. My 338LM loves them.

is the amax not considered a hunting bullet but gets the job done just fine?

I've messed around with a bunch of bullets for my 338-378 (very close ballistics to 338 LM) and the best I've found so far for accuracy are Nosler 250 gr Accubonds. No comments on terminal performance. I'll leave that to others. My groups with this thing have been phenomenal considering my lack of experience and skill.

+1 in Lynx's comment. I've also had exceptional accuracy in my 338RUM with the Berger 250 Classic Hunter. Both bullets will shoot into an inch at 300 yds.
On terminal performance - I shot a large bull moose on the point of his shoulder with the 250 Accubond. Moose flipped over backwards and was DOA. A 300gr Accubond certainly wouldn't have killed that moose and faster or deader. :D

250 grain Accubonds shoot pretty well out of my 338-378 as well. I'm getting around .6-.7 MOA at 200 yards after limited load development and a trigger that's still too heavy. After this hunting season I'm going to mess around with some 300 grain bullets. My research indicates that the Berger Hybrids and Sierra Match Kings are great for accuracy in the 300 grain department. I've also wanted to try the 285 Amax since the 208s shoot so well out of my 300 WM. Good luck with whatever bullet you choose, and be sure to keep us posted on results.

thanks for your suggestions. im going to hold off trying the 250 gr accubonds just because i had so much trouble with the 300s. i will be selling the 300 gr soon if anyone wants to try them

I have owned and worked with many 338 Lapua's . My favorite load would be Lapua brass, CCI 250 Primer, H-1000 and a 300 gr Berger either the OTM or the Elite Hunter. This should be a great combination for your 1 in 9.3 twist. Start about 88 gr and look for pressure to start to show between 90 and 92.5 gr. Seating depths with the 300 Berger have been easy for me. Most come in between .005" and .060" off the lands. Many like .015" off the lands.

The difference between the OTM and the EH is minimal and consists of the EH having a slightly thinner jacket to aid expansion. But I doubt you can tell the difference in terminal performance until you go way beyond where most of will take a shot on elk. I do recommend that all bullets used for hunting are checked for tip blockage. Use a stick pin, paper staple or I use a wire drill .027" or a little less and check to make sure the hollow point tip is open back in about .300 of an inch. Sometimes tips get clogged with jacket material during production or our loading process and this will greatly reduce expansion if clogged.

We have taken elk for years now with the 300 OTM now. Many years in the 8 to 10 range. I have lost count of how many total. But I don't remember one needing a second shot and we have not tracked one from the immediate area. Our placement of choice is in the crease tight behind the shoulder a little below center.

Best of luck to you
Jeff

I have owned and worked with many 338 Lapua's . My favorite load would be Lapua brass, CCI 250 Primer, H-1000 and a 300 gr Berger either the OTM or the Elite Hunter. This should be a great combination for your 1 in 9.3 twist. Start about 88 gr and look for pressure to start to show between 90 and 92.5 gr. Seating depths with the 300 Berger have been easy for me. Most come in between .005" and .060" off the lands. Many like .015" off the lands.

The difference between the OTM and the EH is minimal and consists of the EH having a slightly thinner jacket to aid expansion. But I doubt you can tell the difference in terminal performance until you go way beyond where most of will take a shot on elk. I do recommend that all bullets used for hunting are checked for tip blockage. Use a stick pin, paper staple or I use a wire drill .027" or a little less and check to make sure the hollow point tip is open back in about .300 of an inch. Sometimes tips get clogged with jacket material during production or our loading process and this will greatly reduce expansion if clogged.

We have taken elk for years now with the 300 OTM now. Many years in the 8 to 10 range. I have lost count of how many total. But I don't remember one needing a second shot and we have not tracked one from the immediate area. Our placement of choice is in the crease tight behind the shoulder a little below center.

Best of luck to you
Jeff
thank you for your response. i used retumbo but can get h1000 . i went up to .01 off lands but starting seeing an ejector mark at 91 gr. im using lapua brass and 215 primers.
i ordered the berger 300gr elite hunters yesterday and hopefully can try them next week

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.